Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wooden wheel hub bolts

The 19" wooden wheel hub bolts on my wheels were Peened on and beaten up pretty bad when they were installed on the car. Also appears they are a bit bent. I guess they did not want them to come off. The size is 3/8 inch by about 2" and #16 I believe course thread. Does anybody know a source for these before I take all the time to work on these. I see on the Macs catalog for Model T that they have hub bolts for sale. They have three different sizes 2 1/8", 2" and one for the TT Truck. Does anybody know if these will work? correct size and thread. I also know that the nuts on the break drum side were square and appeared thinner than the normal square nut. I'll need to replace them. Anybody know of a source?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Wooden wheel hub bolts

Hi Mike,
I've used Carriage bolts 3/8"-16 x 2" on my wheels. They fit perfectly. Be sure to use the original nuts though as they are thinner in order to avoid hitting the brake components.
CHEERS!!
Claude Lavoie

Where Are You From? Iroquois, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D-60 and 1930 614, both 4 door sedans

Mike, the Model T bolts and nuts are proper for Star and Durant. Just determine which size you need and give Frank a call.

Don

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Thanks Claude and Don, I knew fellow Durantonians would come through for me. Claude I saw on the Antique Auto Club of America forum that you should not use regular carriage bolts on the wheels as they are not case hardened enough for automobile wheel use and the quality today is not that good. Could sheer off they say. I'll probably go for the ones for the Model T then as long as they are the same size and fit. Thanks again.

Mike
I have a few wood spoke wheels here with bolts in them --they seem a bit rusted but if you want I will oil them up and try to get them out They have the rim wedge as well. Dont know how good they are or what year the wheels are but think its 1930. Let me know and I will work on them --Bring them to Michigan for you if you need them.
Ken

Thanks Ken, but I confirmed that the Model T hub bolts are the same size and thread size as the originals, so I'll just order them along with the proper size nuts. I will need two other things but not right away. One is clincher rim for a 19" wheel. The latch or clip that holds the rim together has a cotter pin that will lock the clincher rim together. I have 4 the same type but the spare that came with the car has a bolt holding the rim together. Looks like a homemade job. I also need one bolt that goes through the fellow and holds the clincher rim on, as well as the metal wedge and bolt. Kind of the lug bolt I guess you'd say. My other ones have the word Hayes on the piece that holds on the clincher. I'll post a picture of what I need tomorrow. Off to my Grandson's first birthday party today.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club