Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fan Hub Rebuild

Just rebuilding the fan assembly as part of my restoration, and note that Franz in Vancouver has managed to rebuild some with modern bearings, and do away with the felt seals etc and the associated leaks.

It's a bit problematic to send my bits to Vancouver and back to be done. Does anyone know exactly what Franz does? Looks like a new shaft made to suit some modern bearings. What gets machined in the hub to fit the bearings, what size bearings was used, etc. I was hoping to get the machine work done locally.

Thanks
Shane

Where Are You From? Down Under

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 D40 Rugby

Re: Fan Hub Rebuild

Don't know exactly what Franz does, but I don't think he is doing any work right now on Durant parts. I do believe that the original fan shaft rotates on a thin layer of grease and that Franz replaces the shaft with a lubricated bronze bushing and bearings to keep it from seizing up. Someone else might know more, or maybe email Franz and he'll tell you if he's still doing it or not, and if not, then maybe he will provide you the information on what he did to them.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

The original fan used 600W oil and threw a lot of it out. Like other parts of the car, Durant just expected you to pour oil in it like you did gasoline. Some people switched to grease but the centrifugal force held it away from the shaft and things burned up.

Franz rebuilt one for me and he did put bearings in and not just a bronze bushing. It's been several years with no problems. I imagine we could convince Franz to put the specs up so someone could have a local machinist do it.

Where Are You From? North of the Golden Gate Bridge

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Thanks Mike and Vince. I'll email Franz and see what information I can get.

Where Are You From? Down Under

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 D40 Rugby

The Durant Motors Automobile Club