Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
14L Front Oil Seal

OK, I'm getting to the point of installing the timing chain cover on my '29 Durant 14L engine.
What has anybody done about installing a modern oil seal in the timing cover to replace the felt ring??

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Re: 14L Front Oil Seal

Hi Don.
Oh man l'm sorry l did ask you to send that timing chain cover with your cam to me as l have had Greg at Kenyon Machine removing that spot welded large washer over that old 83 year old cork seal and he welds in a ring he makes to accommodate a new modern double wiper seal.
All he needs is of course is the OD on the front crank pulled that runs inside the new seal. You cannot get that cork out of there and replace it the way they made it. And it is a bad design cause the cork gets pushed back by the crank moving in the main bearings. Greg just measured the pulley surface that goes inside the seal into the engine and looked in a big seal catalog and bought one to fit over the pulley seal area and did not care about the outside size as he just made a ring on his lathe to accommodate it and then welded the ring inside the timing cover then tapped in the new modern seal. Course it is not easy cause that ring has got to be perfectly center around the existing timing cover hole.
l will be glad to have him do yours or maybe try and find a interested machine shop down there.He did Ricks in his 29 Roadster and a number of others for me. l do have a extra timing cover out back that l am not sure of the engine it went to measures 14 &3/4" widest area and 10 bolt holes to bolt it on and one bolt hole is bigger. l can run it down to Kenyon tomorrow if it is the right one. That bad news is a lot of our stock continental engines leak up there.ln the rear main seal block we used a new set of 57 Chevy 283 rubber rear seals and only had to cut the ends off just a hair and then forced them into the existing stock seal block groves with a proper sized piece of pipe the same size as the crank journal. Using rope for a seal usually does not work.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego Ca

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club