Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
setting timing

What is the special knack needed to set the timing on this car. I cant see the marks on the flywheel to know when it is close to the right position.Tried using mirror but its too dark and I cant get light into the area at the same time.Does anyone know what I can do to get this thing going?
Appreciate any help I can get
Thanks
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant-deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: setting timing

Welp, to get it going withought the timing mark, take the spark plugs out and hand crank the motor until #1 and #6 are at top dead center, the valves on # 6 are just closing and opening respectivly when # 1 is on TDC compression (i'm thinking that you can see both the valves and piston through the spark plug hole)Anyway, note the position of #1 wire on distributor, pull cap and rotor should be pointing to this position, loosen distributor and turn distributor in opossite direction of rotor rotation until points just crack...Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 , wires should be in this order around the cap in the direction of dist/rotor rotation. Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes,

Cant see a darned thing in there --too dark and I dont think I can see the pistons-- . Just have to pull the no. 1 plug and feel for pressure I guess. Back to the drawing board. seems like the more I do -the more I have to do -- Thanks anyway Bill--good idea if I could see the pistons.
Ken

Ken, The instruction manual for our A-22 engines tells you to stick a screw driver in number one spark plug hole and hand crank engine until you feel the piston come to the top..Don't know if I would recomment that procedure on your engine or at least using a screw driver... I thought you would be able to see the piston with a flashlight, you can on the W-5 engine.

Hey Ken, I see you made it back safely from Maricopa,...You must not have gotten picked up by old sheriff Joe while peddling those extra Durant Parts down there.
Take care.

just lucky I guess--Didnt run into old Joe- Seems like he is a good warden to have around--wish there were a few more like him up here.
I figure to use a pencil or a slim wooden dowel rather than a screw driver . Actually if you stick a finger in the hole and crank it around you should be able to feel the pressure That will get it close and then the pencil trick to fine tune it . I will work something out.

That sounds like a good idea...But if for some reason that doesn't work we still have another backup plan, but that would require pulling the valve cover and watching the tappets on #6.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club