Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My dealings with a scammer... a reminder to be careful!

I received a response to one of my adds in the classified section. Here is how it played out...

Them:
I have about a hundred good parts for ( 26-'27 Star R Coupe    ) for
sale garage kept,no dent still in good shape i can E_mail pics Any
interest please contact me.

Me:
Hi, thanks for the reply.  I would be interested in seeing some pics of
what
you have.

Them:
Hello,
Below is an attached image of my 1926 Star R coupe, Note i am selling
the complete car as parts,I remember when this my baby was still
flying on the road,hardly to meet me at home,my wife use to called it
my girl friend so painful.... please email me the list of parts you
are seeking so that it can enable me give you price and i will also
need your complete home address to enable me figure out the shipping
fees to your door step thanks.

Hope to hear from you soon next.

Me:
Looks a lot like my car....hmmmm.  Where is the car?  I want to come see
it.

Them:
1006 N Road 54 pasco, wash.
99301 USA.

Me:
Is this a pic of the actual car for sale?

Them:
Hello,why asking?????

Me:
First of all learn to speak better english, it will help the scam seem more believable. Second make sure the pictures u pull off the internet don't belong to the guy you are tying to rip off. Yes, the pics u sent me are of MY CAR!!  Haaa, dumb ass!

I'm still waiting for a response, do you think it was something I said?

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk.

Re: My dealings with a scammer... a reminder to be careful!

Way to Go Brian!! The only thing better is to lure them out in the open and work them over with a split rim spreader,,,,,,,

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Note to self, be nice to Don! I have to agree, bunch of low life scum..

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star R coupe

the english usage and the great condition and the 'IAM HAPPY WITH YOUR PRICE..(NO BARGAINING)...
AND SEND ME YOUR PAYPAL INFO ACCOUNT TO PAY YOU IS A GOOD WARNING...AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE shipper TO PICK UP BECAUSE I AM OUT OF COUNTRY OR AWAY ON BUSINESS AND PURCHASING AS GIFT SURPRISE FOR DAD OR ??? SO CANNOT COME TO SEE SALE ITEM

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

Way to go Brian! Yes, the english usually tips their hand.

Where Are You From? IA

Thanks Brian .. I see his mail was idential to the one I posted from him. I was just home for a root canal and was cleaning up the pc of mails, so posted the info before going back to the RV Park I help maintain.

I recall similar where a lad tried to sell me parts, or whole car, off Odus Raymer's 614. Told him nice try once he sent a pic of a famous well known only car. Never heard from him again.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

That was a surprise reading that someone was trying to sell parts off my Dad's car. That's impossible. I have ALL those parts and never sold anything to any one yet. There was an auction at my Dad's house but I am pretty sure no Durant parts went with any of it. My husband and I went through all the car parts and took out what we were sure went to the Durant. Dad did a good job of labeling the boxes which made it easier.
However, the parts I do have won't be sold with the car and I will be eventually putting them up at eBay.
I have a fan blade, a hand crank, I think there is a carburetor, a signal motor and a few other things. We haven't gone through all of it.
I will keep the forum posted as to when they go up at eBay.

Wendy

Where Are You From? Broken Arrow, OK

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Wendy you are right that's impossible .. that's what scammers do. Lead you to believe they actually have the parts, when they don't. If you are not very careful and send the money, you can say goodbye to any money sent. That's why they are called scammers. This happened 4 or 5 years ago.

This clown from Texas was adamant he had the parts and I could buy just the parts off the car, or the entire car. I am very suspicious as like your dad's car is unique and seems to be the only one, so is my 32. I doubt the parts I need for the 32 would be found anywhere outside Ontario. There are very few Dominion Motors vehicles still surviving today. Most seem unique cars without a twin. As an idea the 32's used single bar bumpers, with open ends, with diamond shaped bumper medallions. The 1931 US 619 bumpers are closed ended and completely different bumper medallions. Durant Motors 1930 US and Canada used Glolite headlights and lenses, except the 617. All of Dominion Motors vehicles 1931 - 1934 used Depress Beam headlights and lenses. So someone in Texas claiming to have Canadian parts is highly unlikely.

I forced his hand and said I wanted to see a picture of the car and jerk, sends me a picture of your dad's car with the sand dunes behind it, which we all know is the one in the magazine write up. That article is on ebay constantly.

I've had similar selling rad caps as an example. Ask for a picture and get rad caps on cars in museums, and none Durant.

Just been thought it a few months ago with female scammer saying she has the parts I am looking for. She used a DMAC member in Ont, name, address and phone number above Toronto. Email seemed legit as did everything else. Our DMAC member doesn't have internet and owns a 29 Rugby. Few emails to Loraine and the car went from a 1930 614 sedan to a 1931 407 coup. I went on the Australian site in DMAC as I hadn't been on Tubby's site for a long time. What do I see but same person flogging Durant parts. Checked out the phone number shown, on 411, and it was Orangeville Ont not same as the other phone number. I sent Tubby a heads up this person was a scammer and why. Nor did this Loraine ever contact me again.

Just to let you know DMAC is connected to Ebay and any Durant, Rugby, Locomobile item put on ebay can be seen in DMAC. Check the menu bar on left side and it shows Ebay. What we don't know of course is the sellers name. So you posting to forum will identify those items.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hey Norm;
These guys and gals are always lurking out there hoping some fool will send them money and the sad part is that many do. Even on the AACA forum there is often reports of these people trying to scam collectors. But then again the Nigerian scammers have been around for ever, offering to put 10 million in your bank account because they were some exiled African War Lord or something. They are too stupid to know not to pick on a Durantonian. Most know the parts market and know the history of the cars. Usually they don't get caught, just move on to another victim.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Right you are Mike. My late wife is still getting snail mail she has won X million dollars from Readers Digest, two years later, just call a phone number in NY or a 1-800 number. Never any return address on the envelope or email in the letter. Readers Digest horse head is shown. Just for fun I did 411 on that NY number and got a firm in NY. Then used search for that firm. Guess what more NY numbers and different addresses. Silly part the numbers are all legit but no one answers the phone, just a voice mail saying leave a message. Not a clue who pays the bill for the 1-800 lines but they didn't show up on my bill. Along the same line, letters from all over the world to my late wife she has won $ million, again just call to confirm etc. I could have started a world stamp collection with all the stamps. No clue how to stop the things, which are still coming. Glad we have blue boxes for recycle paper.
The ones you talk about I get as scam mail on the pc. My father tossed me out or some such bull and want to dump millions in my bank account if you help me. Or I am the lawyer representing the estate of ..... and you are in the will etc etc. Like why would I want to help you if you have $10 million to spend ? 10 million would take you anywhere around the globe with no ones help.
By the way I have a set of brand new headlights for a 1928 model 65 Durant, still in their original boxes. The lens each have the word Durant in raised letters across the bottom. All you need do is send me a $2500 money order drawn on a Canadian Bank and they are yours. I also have a mint NOS rad crest for a 65 and the brass surround shines like spun gold. Yours for $1000, again money order on a Canadian bank. I hate to part with these items but need the money to pay for a rad cap for my 32.

Stupid site it says I have posted too many items recently and might be cut off permanently from Forum when I posted the prior comment.

Well yes that would be 2nd posting today and lord know how many days before that. Not the first time I get that nonsense message.

its just part of our anti-scammers protection....hahahahahahhah

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

Careful Unc Gary ... I won't tell you about a model 60 still in a crate I can sell you ... grin

Nefu Norm

The Durant Motors Automobile Club