Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help to Identify

A fellow I know bought this at auction and is looking for some help identifying what it may be. Here are a few pics.

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/BDomney/Unknown%20chassis/

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star coupe

Re: Help to Identify

That certainly looks interesting. Take some more pics when the snow melts.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

It is pretty interesting, overhead valve, weird chain drive thing on the front of the transmission. He did get some pieces with it that indicate it is a touring car. Lots of the pieces like the gear shift and steering column are plated, could indicate a fairly high end car?

The fellow that owns the car has some fenders I went and looked at for my '26. I will be going back in the spring to get a tour of his property / collection. He estimates there to be 350-400 pre 1960 vehicles in his collection. All of the viable projects are stored inside and the lesser condition cars are outside. I will take lots of pics.

Only one Star though, fenders and a bare frame.

Seems flat head .. can anyone read the info on the block ? CWC 271 ??? is in search

One says .... CWC manufactures engine components for a variety of applications including automotive, agricultural, and power sports engine programs.

Another talks .... Chris Craft Commander Forum: 327Q w/ CWC: Engine removal

Yet another ... Club4AG Forum Topics: 4age camshaft CWC
I currently have a set of cams for the 4age engine, the are supposed to be performance cams, the engravings on the cam are, cwc 271, e23. I was wondering if anyone has the idea of ...

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

There must be some sort of virus on your picture site. My computer locks up and I use the panic exit to get out. Being in Saskatchewan, it could be of British origin, as there were quite a few loyalists up there.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Yes there are a lot of us up in Canada as Loyalists or Monarchists loyal to the Crown. Your virus must be Obama related. I hear you all love the president .. not.

It takes me a few tries to get into Photobucket to post anything to copy to DMAC forum. It almost does and sits spinning its wheels doing nothing and I delete the thing and try again. Usually 3rd or 4th try I get into the site to my pic's. It also freezes the PC and I have to wipe out that and start again. It has to be the site programming.

Canadian, Eh? Yup. My Mac gets me there faster than I can find the beaver on a nickel!

Sorry Brian .. yes overhead. I was lookin at wrong pic.

Could it be like this

http://forums.aaca.org/f154/engine-block-foundry-mark-239721.html

They talk about CWC engines for Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth 6's. But flat head.

Anyone have an idea what vehicles used CWC motors ? And that chain drive thing front and back of tranny ?

Google etc is sure not helping much.Could this be it ? Curtiss-Wright Corporation
Curtiss-Wright Corporation (CWC) was formed in 1929 as a publicly listed holding company for a variety of aviation concerns, when the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Corporation and Wright Aeronautical Corporation merged, bringing together 18 affiliated companies and 29 subsidiaries. Bankers had tried for years to bring together the two rival companies, started by aviation pioneers and inventors Orville and Wilbur Wright and Glenn H. Curtiss, and the merger finally put an end to two decades of patent battles between the Wright brothers and Curtiss.

Perhaps not engine seems older. Outside valves springs like the 490 Chev that required the oil can on the firewall to lube it.
Like the King in the King and I, "tis a puzzlement"

Here's a possible lead. http://www.cwctextron.com/history.html

In 1905, Donald Campbell, Ira Wyant and George Cannon formed a partnership by verbal agreement and each agreed to put $10 a month into a savings fund to provide working capital for business opportunities. The Campbell, Wyant, and Cannon Foundry Company were founded on April 20, 1908. In the beginning it was a "Three-man Show." They did the molding, coring and cleaning themselves and utilized their apprentice training and experience to produce sound casting after sound casting.

Check the web page for more on this.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Some interesting reading fellas. I'm not sure what to make of it. I will have to get a better look and more detail when I go there in the spring.

Maybe a one and only car ?? or was. And those two sprockets to turn what ? Industrial, boat, airplane ?? Mickey Mouse car of parts like that mish mash of parts from 1900's to the 27 Rugby rad shell on Forum a few months back ? Chopped Ford T axle and front wheels, T steering column and body off a 1900 ?

Maybe a few more pics and the casting info after CWC or elsewhere. Fun of the puzzle. Who cares after

Since they made engines for Continental per the limited info. I eventaully found a contact place on textron site to ask them if they have any idea. Might not if they just bought CWC and moved forward from there.

Brian .. I assume this pile of 350 - 400 cars has no Durant's and mainly after 32, I beam's source metal.

No Durants, only one star 4 frame, cowl and fenders.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club