Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Timing marks on cam and crank gears

I am looking for input on the timing marks on the cam and crank gears on my 14L. I see an 0 mark on each gear but they don't line up with each at any time in the rotation on the gears. Here a couple of pics of the location of the marks. I tried to mark them with white chalk so they are easier to see. Any input appreciated.

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star coupe

Re: Timing marks on cam and crank gears

Hello Brian.
You have to count the links of the timing chain between the "o" mark. Some engines have the link number inside the timing cover or on the block. My 15L that was in my 29 Durant 6-66 is the same engine as your 14L , and my notes on re timing my engine as it can reassembled way out of time and there is 7 whole links between the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket or 14 link teeth. . Forget the generator spacing as you can just reinsert the distributor to no #1 firing later. Just rotate the engine until the two "o" is on the timing chain. l can send you a factory picture of this set up out of my original Durant Instruction manual if you like.
Looks like l can see a 14 on the front our your block next to the cam sprocket.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego, CA

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many

Thanks Lance,

If you could send me the info in an email, I would really appreciate it.

Brian.

Ok, I now see on the right side of the cam gear on the housing it say 13 Links. So I counted the links between the marks and I have 14. I will have to adjust one link. Thanks for all the information that was sent to me.

Brian.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club