Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake Lining Installation

I found some woven semi metallic brake material and rivets from a supplier in Edmonton. Now that I have it, I need to cut it to length and drill holes for the rivets.

When drilling the holes, do I need to worry about countersinking the holes to burry the head of the rivets at all? The material is only 3/16" thick so countersinking may be a tricky, would hate to go to deep and make the hole to big for the rivet.

I have brass rivets to put the pads on with so would putting them in flush be acceptable?

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star coupe

Re: Brake Lining Installation

Brian,
To obtain max life from the brakes the rivet holes must be countersunk to allow the rivets to clear the brake drums. I don't know how much to countersink but I would leave at least 1/16" to attach the rivets.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Hi Brian.....

One of the best tools to have for installing and drilling the brake lining is one of these tools.

They are available from most antique Ford parts suppliers for @ $25. I also have them in stock.

You put this in a bench vise. There are tools to drill out the old rivets. A counter sink bit to drill the new lining and a rivet set to install the new rivet.

Frank

Photobucket[

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Some

Thanks Don, thats what I was kinda thinking. If you don't countersink the rivet heads, they would wear and the lining would come loose as soon as the head of the rivet was worn away.

Frank, I will check with a buddy who may have one of those tools, if not I will give you a shout regarding sending me one.

Thank, Brian.

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club