Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hotel information & Schedule for April East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Ok Durantonians, as promised here is the hotel information, and schedule as I have it now for the DMAC East Coast Chapter Spring Meet April 19th through April 22, 2012. Your not going to want to miss this event!

Hotel

Wingate by Wyndham
9280 University Boulevard
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
Phone 843-553-4444

Room rate is $89.00 per night (Does not include taxes)

When making reservations tell the hotel your with the Durant Motors Club or the DMAC. (Should be open for reservations tomorrow afternnon 01-25-2012)

Cut Off date for this special rate is March 19, 2012, so book your room early. Usual hotel prices this time of year is $110.00 plus for area hotels.

THURSDAY April 19th 2012

Travel day, hospitality room open after 06:00 P.M.
No tour activities planned. Meet in Hospitality room 07:00 PM to learn and pre-pay for tours. (ECC will collect tour money and pay by check or debit card at tour locations)

FRIDAY April 20, 2012

Morning is open, 02:00 PM Tour of the Lasch Conservatory and the CSS Hunley. Cost is $15.00 per person. (This is a negotiated price for a private personal tour of the conservatory and the Hunley Submarine. To learn more about the submarine and its history go to www.hunley.org. I need maximum participation as they require 20 people for this special rate and private tour)(I know we don't usually do this in the afternoon, but this is the only time I could get since they stop work to show us around)
Hospitality Room open after 06:00 P.M (maybe sooner)

SATURDAY April 21, 2012

10:00 AM Travel to the Charleston Visitors Center for bus tour of Charleston historic sites. Tour takes about 90 minutes. Cost of tour is $18.00 per person. This is a good way to see specific sites on the bus that you can decide to return to in the afternoon should you choose. (I have arranged a bus for our group, depending on how many go so please make every effort to attend)

Hospitality Room open after 6:00 PM, Short ECC Meeting for everyone 07:00 P.M.

SUNDAY April 22, 2012
Check out and travel home.

I can add another tour to another historic site should anyone think it necessary for Saturday afternoon. There are several restored beautiful Plantations to see as well as Patriots Point which has an Air Craft Carrier, Coast Guard Cutter, WWII Submarine and other vessels to tour. There is also a boat tour to Ft. Sumter. If you want to do one of these as a group, then you have to let me know so I can try to arrange group prices or you will be on your own.

CARS: The tour to the Lasch Conservatory is not that far from the hotel. Antique cars can be driven and I will have a route planned by the evening of the 19Th. Saturday Tour of Charleston starts at the Visitors Center downtown. Traffic can be bad but just depends. Parking is by paid lot or parking garage so not sure if anyone wants to drive the cars downtown. Friday morning and Saturday afternoon would be good for a local drive, and I will try to get a route together for the old cars.

One other thing, please if at all possible plan on attending the tours. Most of these places require a minimum number to provide their services at discounted rates.

Anyone who has not been to Charleston, should seriously consider staying a few days beyond our meeting. There is plenty of things to do, many great restaurants and lots of history.

Hope to see all of you there!

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Hotel information & Schedule for April East Coast Chapter Spring Meet

Mike

Bravo Zulu! Great hotel rate.

some questions:
1. Is there a registration fee for the overall event, or is this a pay for the tours you want on thursday?
2. Are you planning a dinner or lunch event?
3. Peg and I have done the Ft Sumter Tour and the vessels at Patriot's Point. With that said, we plan on doing both again while in Charleston, so if others want to include those tours as part of the event that is good. Otherwise, since we plan on staying a few extra days, we will do them on Sun/Mon and anyone can join us. Also, a WW2 Destroyer was added to Patriots Point today.

Now, let me ECHO one of Mike's comments. There is a lot to do in Charleston. I was stationed in Charleston, I have good friends in Charleston, and the Low Country Cuisine is like no other, and there are some fantastic restaurants in the city.

Peg and i will see you in Charleston.

Where Are You From? NJ CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three of them

Will call tomorrow for our reservations. The tours sound great are looking forward to them. Tom & Karen

Where Are You From? Pa

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hey Charlie
The East Coast Meets are a little different than the DMAC National Meets as we do not have any formal pre-registration, no formal banquet and no registration fee. Dinner is on your own every night, but I have gotten some offers from several restaurants that can cover our group should we decide to do a group buffet or dinner. As like most events, usually people just pair off in small groups and head out at chow time. We also usually plan one event in the morning and leave the afternoon open so people can go off and do what they want to.(Shopping, napping, talking cars or taking in other sites). The exception is with this one since I could only get the afternoon tour of the Hunley on Friday. For the ladies there are Factory Outlet stores not far from the hotel and some great antique shops in the area as well as the other art galleries and tourist shops in the downtown area which will be about 15 minutes from the hotel.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Mike

thanks for that info. We can roll with the tide, and are looking forward to another visit to Charleston.

Our reservations are made.

Where Are You From? Pa

Airfare booked, hotel next. Cannot wait to have low country cuisine at High Cotton. Peg is looking forward to shrimp and grits for breakfast!

charlie and peggy

Everything is signed for and scheduled now, and I'm trying to order great weather. The only thing I'm having a rough time doing. If your driving instead of flying, even if you don't bring a car, remember to bring parts you want to swap or sell and your car photographs.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Hi All.....

THANKS Mike for setting up this great meet!

Just made our reservations. Cathy and I will be there.

Looking forward to seeing all the Durantonians again.

Think Spring !!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Hi everyone, I just made hotel reservations and Annjean and I are looking forward to seeing old friends and possibly meeting some new ones.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928Durant

Hi All,
Just made reservations for Charleston.
Hope my son Mike will be able to attend with Doris
and myself.
Looking forward to seeing yu'ns.

Yates

Where Are You From? Four Oaks ,NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Durant Touring

I see so far there are 11 of us so far signed up for the spring meet was wondering if any more members were coming and just didnt post here?

Where Are You From? PA

I think I'll be coming by plane this year with Ryan. Charleston is a bit far away to trailer the car, and I have to make sure I have enough vacation time saved up for all the other car events I want to do.

adam

Where Are You From? St. Paul, MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Sport Touring

Plane, train, boat, hot air balloon, or walking, makes no differences....just come on down! See you in Charleston.

Adam Charlie is right, Just you and Ryan come on down, The more the merrier and we need the numbers so I can get the group discounts on the tours. As it is I think there just might be only a couple cars there, but Durantonians don't need the cars to have fun together. Also everyone remember you only have till the 19th of March to book your room to get the discount price. So don't delay!

Hi Adam & Ryan will be nice seeing you's again. You were good enough to come after us when we were on our way back to the hotel in the rain storm and we missed our turn. What a blast we had. Mouse nest and all.Karen

Where Are You From? PA

Booked our room today. So Peg and I are set to go to Charleston.

To all of the East Coast members, Charleston is a fantastic city, and there are many things to do. We are staying a few extra days because we like the city. What the club does not do, Peg and I will do on Sunday and Monday. So if you are thinking of attending but don't want to bring a car, then "come on down".

See you in Charleston..

charlie and peggy

Adam and Ryan:

This is a special message from Peggy, she wants to see you attend, and she said IF you do, she will bake cookies just for the two of you. So, send us an email that you are attending.

charlie

Remember you only have 11 days until the cut off of March 19th to make your reservations at the hotel. Don't delay and have to pay the regular rate. We're going to have a great time there in a great city, so make your plans now!

Mike:

Do you know who and how many are attending?

As previously, Peg and I will be in very late on Thursday, but ready for whatever activities are planned for Friday morning. And if you know what those activities are so that we know what time to get up that would be helpful. Also, let me know if anyone needs some dinner restaurant recommendations, we have a couple of places that we really like. We are looking forward to seeing the Durant clan and visiting Charleston.

Hi All......

Cathy and I will be in late Wednesday.

Looking forward to seeing all the Durantonians!!!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Down to 13 days now, so it is getting close. If you haven't made up you mind yet, please do, you'll have a great time! Don't let the gas prices scare you away we can't change them anyway right now and I've negotiated a great rate for the hotel to save you all some money. I've sent you an email Charlie, but to answer your question, we have no scheduled event on Friday morning. I will be glad to act as tour guide and set up a tour/trip on Friday morning for any of the members that would like to go somewhere. I will discuss this at the meeting Thursday night and give everyone some options. We have not decided yet whether we will eat a dinner as a group. I have not made any plans but will see what I can turn up should everyone decide. I was going to leave it up to everyone to pair off into their own groups. I would like you to email me Charlie with some restaurant suggestions though so I can put it in the tour/meet booklet if you can.

Alright, it's settled, Ima goin' ta Charleston. I picked up some big plastic containers to pack odds n ends parts to bring for a swap meed in the back parking lot. I don't know what to bring so I'll just bring a lot of it.
Reckon I'll look for a place to stay once I get there. It's more fun that way.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Mike

Just sent you those restaurants that Peg and I like. High on our list is High Cotton. Some of the Best low country cuisine. Located in downtown Charleston, reservations are mandatory if you do not want to wait. Dining areas are small, and 4-6 people per table is the best way to go. Hank's Seafood, also just off Meeting Street is a classic Charleston restaurant, and seafood, with low country cuisine is a tourist special. Again, make reservations. If you like shrimp, and you like grits, a good combination is shrimp and grits, and yes in some restaurants you can get that for breakfast. If you have never been to Charleston, expect fine hospitality, and excellent food, IF you dine in a nice restaurant. Parking in the downtown area of Charleston can be at a premium so plan accordingly. The market area is the old slave auction area, and there are a lot of vendor offering local items. If you have the time, a boat ride to Fort Sumter, where the Civil War started, is worth the trip. If you have never been on an aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown makes for a nice visit. And the tours that Mike has set up will give you an idea of the history of Charleston. If you cannot tell, this is one of my favorite cities. I was stationed in Charleston in 1966, and learned a lot about the city.

Just seven days away, looking forward to the East Coast Meeting in Charleston, SC. Will we see you there?

Peggy and Charlie

Today is Tuesday, Tax Day in the US, and Friday is the first day of the East Coast Spring Meet. Are you going to be there? Peg and I depart San Diego shortly to return to NJ, only to leave for Charleston on Thursday evening.

We will see you all on Friday morning!

peggy and charlie

Hey Charlie and everyone! I've been in contact with the tour people and confirmed our tours, looks like we will have around 25 or so showing up, but I don't know how many cars yet. I know you won't be able to make it Charlie but everyone should join us in the Hospitality Room on Thursday night to pay for the tours and register for them. I should be getting there around 2:00 P.M or earlier on Thursday. I'll have a schedule and maps available for attendees. See you all in Charleston!

Mike

Peg and will go on both tours, I will bring you cash and we can hook up on Friday morning. We will see you in Charleston

We are here in SC saw Frank & Cathy last night as well.

Where Are You From? PA

Returned home 7:30 this am. Hope everyone else gets home safely. Saw Pittsburg area was to get snow. Yesterday and today we drove thru the rain to get home. Saw 6 accidents on the way home. YIKES we were very careful. Had a great time as always. Thanks Bill and AnnJean for the rides to the events we sure do appreciate it. Karen

Where Are You From? PA

The Durant Motors Automobile Club