Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drive shaft u-joints

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on taking these guys out. I have all the grease housing, spring and retainer removed and am wondering where to go next to get the joint itself out.

I am also looking for info on replacement u-joints, one is shot and one is questionable at best.

Regards, Brian.

Where Are You From? Dalmeny Sk

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star coupe

Re: Drive shaft u-joints

I am not familar with the star drive shaft. If it is like the Durant or other cars in general, their will be "circlips" mounted on the joint caps that press into the driveshaft housings. Remove the clips and tap the cups out using a large vise to support the housing. Using the vise and a proper sized socket, install the new cross and new cups into place and install the clips.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

These are not like any other u-joint I have dealt with. I don't think the shape of the joint will allow for pushing it out the way we usually do.

Is it possible to post some photos of your u-joint arrangement?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Lets try this....

Franz may be able to help you as he rebuilds and reproduces these parts.

info@vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

Talked to him this morning, he told me he is no longer doing the car part restoration. If anyone could just point me in the right direction to get the joint apart without destroying it, that would be a start.

Use a long slender punch and gently tap the bushing out. You can only get on one edge of it but it is not a hard press fit. On the other bushings, you will see a half snap ring on the outer side of the bushing. Use a small screwdriver to get under the snap ring and pop it up and out of the grouve. Be careful, that thing could spring out and take off to parts unknown and you'll never see it again!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Thanks Don, I have the caps off the ones without the clips. The clips are going to be a royal pain in the but!

Brian.

Yes, they are! And remember, they are only about 1/3 of the diameter of the bushing. If you manage to push the snap ring to the side and out of sight, you might as well get out the ole' cuttin' torch to finish up.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

That thought crossed my mind already! Can't seem to find a screw driver that is small enough and has the strength to do it. I have made a deal with another member to purchase a bunch of parts which include a complete drive shaft. Mine may hit the shelf as is!

I am now going to get started on the rear brakes. My hardware at the wheels are in rough, almost non usable condition. I may have to build almost from scratch. If anyone has components that are for sale, I would be interested if the price was right.

Regards, Brian.

Brian:
If you push one of the clips down in too far, you can move it back around using a piece of wire. A dental pick is a good tool to remove the clip, but beware the !@#$% things fly and hide. We have the same ones in the 32 Frontenac.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Good idea on the dental pick and the wire, I may give it another shot just because I can't let them win!!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club