Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
19' Wood Wheels

I am replacing the wood spokes in my artillary wheels and am having trouble getting the split rim to remain butted together when I install the fellow-wood spoke-hub assembly back into the tire-split rim assembly. Does anyone know how the locking devise shown in the photo holds the split rim ends in place on the Kelsey-Hayes wheels? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Re: 19' Wood Wheels

No idea but wouldn't you need a rim spreader to hold the rim out while you push that locking piece down. Then pin the center that comes up, it seems, though the lock. Then take rim spreader away. So many different ways to lock split rims on various vehicles.

Wire wheels are so much simpler and easy to install tires on. Almost don't need any tools.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Thanks Norm for the suggestion. In talking with the wood wheel guy yesterday, we were able to determine that I bent one end of the split rim with the wheel spreader which causes the ends not to stay evenly together. He advised that in the future to locate one finger of the spreader close to the split and just compress it enough to disengage the ends. Then he said to relocate the wheel spreader fingers about 75 degrees away from the joint to reduce the possibility of bending the rim. Just pinning the levers will work to keep the ends together but the rim was not concentric which still prevented the wheel from going in. Now I know!

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Yep Phil .. another pit fall using a spreader can mess up the rims permanently. Cranking and cranking until the ends open but spreader not set in proper position. As you say one only needs enough pressure to seperate the rim. Should be set so arms are one third each section. Can't recall but I think the screw end is opposite the rim split so pushing up forces the other two legs to open the split. Been a long time since the 60's and using one on the 30 614 D and 31 Chevy canopy express truck. If I recall a 21 inch rim speader will fit a 19 inch rim, but more chance to ruin a rim.
Found my 1st 19 inch rim spreader in the sand of the neighbours garage. No idea why it was there as they rode Indian motorcycles in the 40's, she told me.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club