Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1928 Locomobile

In case you missed it; A Durant era 1928 Locomobile model 8-70 sedan on ebay in the 'other makes' section. Buy it now for $34500. Looks like a very nice car. What does our resident Locomobile expert know about this car? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14 coupr

Re: 1928 Locomobile

Ross and All,

This appears to be a nicely restored 28 Locomobile 8-70 Sedan. E-Bay number 370564617250. Only a Day or so left on this e-bay auction. A nice car for someone with maybe up to about $30 thousand dollars to spend. Is it worth the money, maybe? The price guides peg this figure at just over #2 condition. I would think the upper $20's is more realistic, and you surely could not restore it to this level for that money.

Interesingly this 4DR sedan was the more common body style of the 1928 Loco model 8-70's. Also there were no open models offered in the 8-70 line. But I also do not know of any other 8-70 body styles that have survived to date.

I am researching the Engine #: 10S-610,Car#: 6262, and VIN#: 13497110835,for placement on my listing of 3 or so Loco model 8-70's that I know about.

I would dispute the statement by the Locomobile Society (Calif) as; "Only about 21 eight-cylinder 1928 Locomobiles are known to the Locomobile Society". Since this group caters mostly to the high end Loco Model 48's (T-Head 6 cyl's)and has not been very interested in our Locomobile cars. They have also been un-willing to include many of the mid-range 8 cylinder Locomobiles supported by our club. Nor have they been helpful to myself or the club's other former Loco model 8-70 owner. I myself have found over 12 Locomobile Junior 8's worldwide, and know about 3 of these 8-70 models. But is it rare, sure, as many of our Durant Motors produced cars are.

Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Ross and All,
Well this 1928 Locomobile 8-70 sedan did not get an offer or sell on e-bay.

Interestingly it is almost exactly the same as the Locomobile 8-70 that was in our club prior, owned by Steve Davis (see Photographs). Steve sold his last Summer for almost the same money at an auction. Another interesting point are the Engine and Car numbers:

Steve's;
Engine #: 10S-610,Car#: 6268

This one Offered on e-bay this week:
Engine #: 10S-610,Car#: 6262, and VIN#: 13497110835

Note the engine numbers are the same and the cars are almost identical, and the Car's numbered only 6 cars apart!! On closer checking it appears that the e-bay one has a "re-stamped" engine number, and the plate looks like it was "re-attached" to the block with screws. Maybe an assembly line error??

I do not know when or why this would have been done, or for what reason? Also this car's history is fully documented, as was Steve's so I believe they are NOT the same car. Strange!

Still a very nicely restored car, with a documented history with a slightly high price. Again I think it would have sold if the seller's asking price had been a bit lower,considering it's level of restoration detail in today's market.

Total production of all Locomobile 8-70 models from 1 July 1927 (Car #:5601 model start)untill the end of all Locomobile production (about mid-March 1929) was probably less than 1200 Locomobile 8-70 cars produced.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 1928 Loco 8-70, 30 Durant 610

Lance It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like Steve's car is also painted burgundy like the ebay car. Weird that there would be two very rare cars with such identical appearences. Too bad it didn't sell, it looked fantastic.Maybe it'll get down to my price range--oh wait that would be near it's scrap value! Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Just wondering, would the Durant 6-75 or 6-70 have been made with left over Locomobile 8-70 parts or tooling?

Where Are You From? MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Lance I'm curious, would you know if any custom bodied Durant era (1923 and newer) Locomobiles still exist?

We know a 1928 Locomobile was used by the USPS on a 25c
stamp...

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22, 633

Didn't Billy D have a Locomobile as his personal car during this period?(1928ish). No doubt with a personal driver. I seem to remember reading an article about this. Ross

Where Are You From? ORYGUN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross, Bob, Cdmn, and All,
The only "cross-over" between other Durant Mtrs products that I know about is in a few FLINT products (minor mech. switches, some trim, etc.) because of the Locomobile factory useage for FLINT. Possible to other DURANT cars but I have not heard of any others using Locomobile parts. Also Locomobile only had the one production plant in Bridgewater Conn. and made most parts themselves in house. They did use body builders from Mich. and New York (probably others too) though.

As far as Custom bodied Locomobiles after 1923, Yes they were produced but in very limited numbers as "Custom Built" and only on the top-line Locomobile Model 48 and possibly the 6-90 model. We're talking a few hundred per year, total. The only way to get a Model 48 was to Custom order it. Then and now very,very expensive!

I have also heard of Billy using a Locomobile (it figures!) but have not seen it myself in print.

Leaving in a few minutes now; heading down to S. Florida on the East coast (Vero Beach; 100 miles N.of Miami) for the weekend to see my brother, sister and her husband for an early Christmas visit!

Hope this answers your questions and helps the club.
Take care,
Lance C.

I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A 1927 LOCOMOBILE MODEL 70 SEDAN 8 CYLINDER (2 DOOR) but have not been able to find comps to determine fair market value. Adviso?
thanks
BB

Where Are You From? LOS ANGELES

Bruce,
Very rare car and a Great find! Only additional info on that model I have is of a 1928 Locomobile 8-70 Victoria Coupe (4 pass) that was produced in 1928 at a price of $2100 on the 8-70; 122" chassis using the standard 8-70 Continental engine as I have described above [Ref. Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942,Page 825).

I have no production figures for this model. But as noted above only about 1200 Loco 8-70's produced in 1928, with most being Sedans [with two other 8-70 models; Brougham, and Deluxe Brougham] all 4Dr models. My estimate of 8-70 Coupe production is about 5% to 10% or between 60 to 120 produced, and probably nearer the lesser number (less than 100).

I only have seen one picture of a 1928 Loco 8-70 Victoria Coupe [Ref. Automobile Quarterly, Vol 22, No. 4 ,1984; Page 405] This was in a Portfolio of pictures of Locomobile models on Page 393, following a history of the Locomobile automobile on Page 376 "Locomobile: Bridgeport's Beautiful Beast" by Jeffery I. Godshall, in this book.

Finally on price and/or value; the 2013 Collector Car Price Guide lists this 1928 Loco 8-70 model at Cond. 6;$1,800, #5;$5,400, #4;$9,000, #3;$20,250. #2;$31,500, #1; $45,000. However this being such a rare car, make and model price is very subjective up or down.

I have an 8-70 project car and know of only two others in existance. Any parts are almost non-existing too; An exceedingly rare body style (Coupe), and model (8-70),of a very rare car; Locomobile.

Hope this helps you.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 28 Loco 8-70, and 30 Durant 610

Locomobile model 8-80

Lance

You sound very knowledgable about the late Locomobile models. I own a 1927 model 8-80 5 passenger sedan and I'm looking for any and all information I can find (not easy). As an example, this car is #202 - does anyone know how many model 8-80's they made? These cars have a Lycoming built straight eight. Did Locomobile make the body's or were they also contract out?

I've only been able to track down one other model 8-80, does anyone know of others?

I appreciate in any information you can provide.

Best Regards, Steve

Where Are You From? Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Locomobile model 8-80

Re: Locomobile model 8-80

Steve,
You pose several interesting questions. First did you just buy this Loco 8-80 within the past year or so from a fellow in the midwest, and is it a very large light grey over black fender/garnish molding, with whitewalls sedan? This one sounds familiar to me? If the same it was a very nice restored car?

The only other Loco 8-80 that I know about or seen was a cabriolet in silver with maroon fenders and garnish moldings, however I'm sure there are a few others extant. That one was sold a few years ago and listed in one of the National Antique Auto clubs, if you Google Loco 8-80 I believe a picture comes up.

As for Locomobile production numbers, do a query on "Locomobile" from these posts, I think that I gave quite a bit of history on production numbers in a prior post. There are no real definite records of total model production but being this was one of the last Loco models produced; I show Loco 8-80 production for 1927: at 498 cars[est.], and for 1928: 398 cars [est.] before Locomobile shut-down finally in mid-March 1929, again "estimated" from several sources.

As for body production, several body-builders were contracted to produce Locomobile bodys, depending on body style.

Bottom line is that I love this marque but information as well as cars/parts and thus interest(!)is almost non-existant. Now and then some items and parts come up on E-bay but with so few cars survived around you have to substitute, fabricate or make (or have made) most things you need. Sadly this is not a Model A Ford! Any help or info that I can give you I will gladly share.

Regards, Lance C.
Days 850-882-3862, Nights & Wkends 850-678-2687, Cell 850-240-4912

Where Are You From? Niceville, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 and 26 Locomobile JR-8's, 28 Loco 8-70, and 30 Durant 610

Lance -

Thank you for your response. Yes, I purchased the grey and black car formerly in MO. I've just gotten the car home (to AZ) after a cosmetic restoration (same color's which I believe to be original). I appreciate the contact information and will reach out to you after Thanksgiving.

Have a great holiday, Steve
vintagemotoring@gmail.com

Where Are You From? Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Locomobile model 8-80

I just became aware of a 1928 Locomobile two door sedan for sale in California. I can't say know much about Locomobiles (as far a model) or the car in particular. I got the seller's # and name fourth hand. I did also get some pictures that I'd be glad to share if I could figure out how to post them on here.... :-)
-Todd

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

We have a 1926 Locomobile Jr8 sedan. We are needing information on the front brakes and front hub assembly. Someone took the front hubs off yrs ago and neither of them were put back correctly. Incidentally we also have a 16 model 38 touring car, a 16 model 48 Limo and a partial body and running gear for a 17 model 48. Any information anyone has even just some pics of the front axle assembly would be grounds for a medal. Lol

Thanks guys.

Sincerely,
Mel Hardy

Where Are You From? Ky

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I think you've gone Loco!

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I'll look at manual when I get home. If I remember correctly that 8-66,8-70 and 8-80 front brake assembly were very similar. I'll send email what I found.

Where Are You From? Calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? Locomobile flint durant

Mel, I sent you picture and info on installation of your locomobile. By the way, what is your car #. Send me information when you see the locomobile front axle assembly.

Where Are You From? Calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? Locomobile flint durant

The Durant Motors Automobile Club