Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
torrid heat

I have this Torrid heat heater app for my '30 Durant.
I finally found some 3" inch flex tubing so I can install this thing. A nifty after market heater which
works in the same maner as the old VW exhaust heater.
The 3" flex tube wraps aruond the exhaust pipe just ahead of the muffler. A 2"flex tube runs up on the right side of the engine compartment with a flared end to collect air from the cooling fan. Another 2"
tube runs to the passenger compartment. Heat is then regulated by a sliding vent. As long as there are no leaks in my exhaust system it should be safe. But I have some reservations about using it!

Photobucket

Where Are You From? kent wa

Do You own a car built by Durant? '30 6-14

Re: torrid heat

Probably just about as safe as the manifold heaters found on Fords and other vintage cars.
Dot had a hot water, electric fan one, with tubes going up both driver and passanger sides back of dash to keep front window clear. I removed all that mess of tubes everywhere.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I have the sales brochure from Torrid Heat listing their heaters for Durants. I'm looking for a regular inside firewall mount Torrid Heater for my 28. Interesting concept.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

[I have a heater that wraps around the exhaust pipe-and has a bypass that fits into the floor boards to heat the interior of the car --Not sure exactly how it hooks up-(can any one tell me?) Looks pretty good and I think it would work well.
Ken

Where Are You From? kamloops b C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant -Model 614 -deluxe rumble seat coupe

Cabin heat muffs are still used on general aviation aircraft. I have installed several.
I have also built a couple using aluminum.
It will have an intake air source and an outlet for heated air after it has passed through the muff. Then through a heat resistant scat tube to a flapper box on the firewall which lets the heat into the cabin or dumps it out into the engine compartment. It is activated with the usual push pull type control from the dash.
To have a look at one go to www.vansaircraft.com. Click on web store, then cabin heat muff, Part #Vent DL-05. The Heat Selector Bypass Box is Part # TG-10. Unfortunately these are designed for 1 3/4 inch exhausts and would have to be adapted. It is important to always have air going through the heat box to avoid damage to the exhaust pipe. Although these would not work without adapting because of the exhaust pipe size, it gives you an idea on how it would work.

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Depression Pickup

The Durant Motors Automobile Club