Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front brake recommendation

I've been having trouble with my front brakes for a few years now my 6-14 has been converted to hydrulic brakes and had a set of drums of a 67 chevy 1/2 ton I've been having tons of trouble stoping and have had wheel cylinders rip out of the backing plate. I'm an automotive student and took the car to my school and had my instructor take a look and they turn out to be rear brakes off a Chevy 1/2 ton not front brakes.

I want to go ahead and replace them with a different set of drums what will withstand stoping. Does anyone have any recommendations? what worked good on your car?

I am also not against putting front discs on it. OUr Durant spindels and hubs similer to ford? they sell many converision kits for model A's and what not.

any feedback will be apreacated!
I just want to be able to drive the **** thing and not have to run red lights at 35mph due to my inibility to stop.

thanks,

-Phillip

Where Are You From? Moreno Valley CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: Front brake recommendation

dear durant friend...
a set of 1954 chevy 1/2 ton brakes complete mounted on the 54 chevy truck front axle will bolt on to the 1930 6-14 springs ....you must then deal with the pitman arm connection...much easier task than brake drum and backing plate mismatches....use 6 bolt drums or switch for 54 chevy passenger drums which are 5 bolt chevy ....or buy a set of 6 bolt 1930's chevy 19" wire wheels and look deluxe.

refer to "How to build a chevy hot rod"

hope that helps...i bolted th 54 axle to my 1929 model 70 coupe easily

Where Are You From? penna.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 1929 model 60 durants,; 1 star 1925 model f roadster

Both my 614's worked well with orig equipment but my chums 31 614 was notorious for needing a boat anchor, passenger pulling back on the emergency brake, while he stood on the brake pedal to stop the thing. Mind you the car was never babied and we drove it all over the city or countryside looking for car parts. I expect he just needed brake linings or adjustment.

Gary, talk about keeping the car orig .. sigh. Do 30's Chevy 19's fit the 54 Chevy bolt pattern ? Remember D's came with 5 and 6 bolt wires for 1930. 5's had the lock ring and 6 normal wires. Or you could use Fronty 18's. I have one 19 on Dot by a half thread each bolt to hold car up, but it won't go back to the drum. Bolt pattern is right but hub opening is too small. Even takes the D cap. Haven't a clue what its off of. If I recall correctly our caps interchange with the 30 - 31 Chevy wire caps. The 31 I just mentioned had a Chevy cap when he bought it.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

i will try a 19" wire on the brake drum when in the garage tomorrow, norm...

Where Are You From? penna.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 1929 model 60 durants,; 1 star 1925 model f roadster

Hi Gary ... I'm not looking for a wire for Dot. I have all 5 of them. When loading the car to bring it home, the right rear burst half way up the trailer ramp and the owner had this odd ball wire for 40 yrs thinking it was a spare D one for Dot. We managed to trade the wires, while it was on the ramp, but as I said only held on by a half thread each bolt. I just can't get anywhere near that side to put the correct one on.
I can't recall what wires Gord Taylor put on his 1930 614, just before he died. Again orig front end and drums, just currect fancy wires to lower the car a bit. Have no idea why he did that from pic's before of the car and if the car ever sold on Kijiji by his widow.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club