Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horn repair

We have been having trouble with the horn on our 26 Star. After very little time a hard turn to the right or left results in the horn sounding. It seems the turn shorts out the horn at the steering wheel. Anyone know a cure stopping this from happening?

Steve

Where Are You From? Tiburon, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star 2 door Coach

Re: Horn repair

Steve,
The wire at the end of the steering is the key. Wire made back the day was nothing more than metal wire covered with cloth that had be soaked in a dope that made it water resistant. Add to that all of the wear and tear the wire endures at the tip of the steering wheel and you have a short. After 80 years a good cough or sneeze will turn the wire coating into dust. The best repair is to remove the steering wheel and replace the original wire.

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

Thanks Rick We have replaced that wire but seem to still have the same trouble. I may run a heavier gauge or one with a bit more coating.

We only have the one Durant. A 1926 Star 2 door Coach.

Steve Nimz
Ron Hast

Where Are You From? Tiburon, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star 2 door Coach

Steve,

I placed about an inch of shrink tubing on the area that rubs and the problem went away. But look for short around the firewall, if you can replace the entire wire in that circuit.

When I first acquired my roadster, every left turn would short out and the car. I was pretty much limited to driving straight and only right turns until I found and replaced the problem wire. You can buy new wire with cloth covered plastic coated wire at tractor supply stores online. Since your car has a 6 volt electrical system, and heavier gauge wire will always be the best choice.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club