Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spicer Failed

Recently I started to hear a chatter or knocking sound coming from the rear of the motor. The sound was present even at idle and the car developed a weird vibration at 30-45mph. So after a phone call with Lance Haynes, I checked the Spicer. It appeared to be time to change it, even though this was the last thing I wanted to do today. But I will be driving the Roadster to the show down in San Jose, CA and it's about an hour and 30 min drive via back roads each way. So today I changed the Spicer joint.

Well it turned out the part was really in bad shape, four of the eight rubber balls had failed. At first I dismissed the Spicer because I replaced the rubber balls shortly after I purchased the car, but that was ten years ago and the Durant is a driver. Glad I kept a spare.

Just goes to show that you gotta kept maintaing your Durant, even the rebuilt parts.

Now with a fresh Spicer installed, I should be good for many miles to come.

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

Re: Spicer Failed

Was this on your model 65?

Where Are You From? Missouri

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes - 1928 D65

Paul
Rick does not have a Model 65.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Paul,

This was from my 1929 model 60 with 14L six cylinder engine.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club