Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Zenith Carb Follow-up??

I have decided to go with a modern carburetor to replace the Model A Ford unit that my car came to me with in 2001. Research has me looking at three Zenith models, 14544, 13922, and 14991. The first two were written up here in the tech section by Rick and the 14991 was another model that could also fit a Ford Model A.

Now that some time has passed is there any further news on how people like any of these? Does one stand out more than the others as most satisfactory for typical driving? Have any hard lessons been learned from their use?

Thank you as always for this resourceful resource,
Justin

Where Are You From? Rochester, NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1928 M2 Coupe

Re: New Zenith Carb Follow-up??

Justin,

From what I can find on the internet the bolt spacing is just a little narrow on the 14991.

Zenith Carburetor 14991 - Bolt pattern is 2 5/16" center to center.

Zenith Carburetor 14544 & 13922 - Bolt pattern is 2-3/8" center to center.

The 14544 is jetted for your 135 cubic inch engine displacment and from what I could find the 14991 is a replacement for the Continental F-135 tractor engine, also with a 135 cubic inch displacement. I wasn't able to find any info on the power curve, etc.

Justin
Frank Witkowski or Pres. sells a good replacement carb for our cars. I'm not sure what model it is, but shoot him an email and he can tell you all about it. From what I understand many members have gone this route and are satisfied.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Justin Schiess
I have decided to go with a modern carburetor to replace the Model A Ford unit that my car came to me with in 2001. Research has me looking at three Zenith models, 14544, 13922, and 14991. The first two were written up here in the tech section by Rick and the 14991 was another model that could also fit a Ford Model A.

Now that some time has passed is there any further news on how people like any of these? Does one stand out more than the others as most satisfactory for typical driving? Have any hard lessons been learned from their use?

Thank you as always for this resourceful resource,
Justin

Justin, I have the Zenith #14991 on my A-22 engine, like the model A they both have about 200 CID. This #14991 is the larger series Zenith carbs (Model 267)and has a much larger bowl and float, I guess what I like about it is I haven't needed a fuel pressure regulator in conjunction with an electric fuel pump...I did have to manufacture a dog-leg mount to allow the carb to clear the distributor housing...I also have one of the smaller series (model 68)on a model R Hupp (35 HP)don't remember the tag number but was the smaller series to replace model A and it preformes excellant, I do recall filing out the mounting holes to a obtain a 2 3/8" center to center so the carb would fit directly on that manifold...(Rick, would you have the carb mounting center to center demintions reversed?)

Zenith has some general engineering on the two series of updraft carbs at
http://zenithfuelsystems.com/

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA/ Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe / '25 Flint H-40

Thank you all for this info. I will digest it bit by bit and hope to make a final decision that will give me a better running car. I haven't been happy with the Model A but it was adequate even though it was a fast rebuild done to an iffy core. A friend's model A runs so sweetly and has such a higher top speed that I know the Durant can do better and deserves better too.
Justin

Where Are You From? Rochester, NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1928 M2 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club