Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch question's

Since getting our Durant back after having a complete engine rebuilt. I am having a problem shifting gears without grinding. The person that has worked on our Durant does not know anything about adjusting the Clutch (fingers), he adjusted the clutch peddle to it's max which helped but not by much. The question I have could the fingers be adjusted to tight, and should be backed off. Is it possible that that clutch plate is pressing to tight. When the clutch peddle is compressed to the floor it does not disengage the Drive shaft
between the Tran and Clutch, so it still spins. I do not have any printed info on how to adjust. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? !923 A-22 Four door sedan

Re: Clutch question's

Ken,
If your engine was reinstalled by persons not familiar with Durant and Star cars, the clutch plate/ output shaft may not be in alignment with the transmission causing a side load on the pressure plate bearing. This will cause the clutch to drag and grind gears.

Quick Check:
With engine shut off, transmission in neutral, and clutch pedal depressed, the engine/transmission coupling should rotate freely without binding. Try this and re post.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Don, Try ed your suggestion left foot on Clutch right
foot rotating drive shaft, no bind.??
Ken

OK, now jack the rear wheels clear and start engine, depress clutch and note action of engine to trans shaft as you engage third, then second, then first.
Note the difference in feel and sound as you shift into the various gears. First and Second are gear engagements and Third is a "Dog Clutch" style of engagement which should be the smoothest.
Also note how quick the shaft accelerates when you return to neutral with the clutch still depressed.

Don,
I will have to try your suggestion some time Friday late afternoon or at least Saturday. I forgot to mention in my first message that when with engine running clutch depressed the drive shaft would spin until I put my foot on it which then had stopped it until I removed my foot then it would start spinning again. I don't know if this info would help or have any bearing on the problem. I will let you know as soon as I can about what you suggested. Thank you I appreciate your help.
Ken

Its possible you might have too heavy or old lubricant on the clutch shaft bushing. Try cleaning and using a light oil. That may lessen the harsh engagement.

Don, The clutch shaft bushing, is this also known as the throw out bearing?

No, this is the long bushing in the clutch cover that supports the clutch shaft.

Hi Ken,
Try slowing the idle to about 500-550 RPM's.
The manual calls for 600 steam cylinder oil(super
heavy gear oil) for the trans.This heavy oil helps
slow the gears,20's idea of synchromesh.
Resturation Supply in Esoundido,Ca.has it in quarts
or maybe another member has an equivelent.
Hope this helps,
Don

Where Are You From? Bakersfield

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dirt track racer with Star running gear

To Don Shilling and Don Palla I want to thank you both for you input.
Don Shilling I re-lubed the clutch shaft bushing that helped and changed the shifting back to were it use to be.
Thanks Don Palla for you idea some time in the future I will have the lube changed in the Tran to the 600w.
After getting the car to shift better I took it out for a trial spin, and while out the head gasket blew.
Ken

Hi Ken,
Resurfacing the head is a good idea during an overhaul,or at least have it checked.
Retorque head bolts at about 25 miles,100&500 miles and you are
done.50-55 ft.lbs.(I think)should do it.
You might find a service/maintaince manual at Abe's
Books or on E-bay.$10 to $35.Money well spent.
Don

Hi Ken,
Make that 45 ft.lbs.
Don

Hi Ken,
In the latest Durant Partner,Frank Witkowski has reproduction
copies of Star Durant repair manuals for sale.
$ extremely well spent for all adjustments, maintainance,and capacities.
Don

Thanks Don.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A2

Thanks everyone I had the same issues after I put my clutch back together after pulling the motor to paint it. everything is the same as Ken's cars. One additional thing, mine is slipping too. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Where Are You From? Westminster, Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep 1922 A-22 Touring

This is a scan from the 1923 A-22 Instruction manual...(clutch adjustment)
This is how the clutch is adjusted but make sure you have clearance or free play on your throw-out/release bearing...I am wondering if after approximatly 80 years if some of our pressure plate/ring springs have lost their value?

clutch adjustment

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 / '29 model 40 / '25 Flint H-40

The Durant Motors Automobile Club