Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grease

I have noticed the lubrication chart for the Model 60 shows to use grease on many of the fittings but also "steam cylinder oil of heavy duty" on a number of others. What is that and is it currently available or do I use something else? Also I just rebuilt the water pump and the two grease fittings were filled with a thick grease that is like paraffin. Is that so it is compatible with the cooling system? Any input would be appreciated. Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

Re: Grease

Phil:
The "steam cylinder" oil you can still buy and is a very heavy oil such as used in the differential. The grease used in the water pump is called "water pump cup grease" and is impervious to water. I believe the Model T suppliers still carry both of the above.
I use regular grease gun grease in all of the fittings on our car with no problems. The message is , just keep everything greased.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Gordon, do you still use 600W in the spring shackles?

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63

Thanks Gordon. That's what I needed. Phil

Where Are You From? Portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

I do not use the 600 W for greasing, I only use it in the differential and the transmission. I use regular grease in my grease gun for everything else.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Gord,
How much 600W does the Transmission hold in our A22 Durant. Is 1 (one) quart enough?
Ken Brink

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? !923 A-22 Four door sedn

Ken:

I am sure that it will not take the full quart. You will need more than a quart to fill both the transmission and the diff.
Are you coming to Guelph this year? Not too late to come. We are leaving this afternoon to set everything up.
Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

The Durant Motors Automobile Club