Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting Serious Again

The trip to Kalamazoo and visiting with all you folks did me a world of good. I've gotten back in the swing of tackling the woodwork on my '27 Star coupe.
Here's a pic of where I stopped today.

Photobucket

Again, I'm still looking for a few parts for this coupe. Namely, a set of trunk hinges and latch mechanism, rear belt trim, and the top, rear, corner metal pieces, (see pic below) for both sides.
We have the set for Butch's car but nothing for mine yet.

Photobucket

Any help will be greatly appreciated if anyone has these parts or know of a derelict coupe in an antique junk yard somewhere.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Re: Getting Serious Again

That's some fine looking woodwork

Where Are You From? Cerritos CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 63 4 door

Don your woodworking is exceptional. It's ashame you have to cover it with metal. It's so purdy the way it is. Great great work!!!

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Looks good Don...I didn't realize that the M Star had the same dash and instrament cluster as some of our Durants...How do you manage to keep your shop so clean and orginized? Keep up the good work.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 / '29 model 40 / '25 Flint H-40

Doing the woodwork and joinery is not very difficult especially if you have the machines to produce accurate results. The real challenge is to produce the proper dimensions for the sheet metal to fit. Working with precious few patterns has been my main stumbling block.
Today I've been wrestling with fitting the rear body shell and it's not jiving up. I had to cheat on the rear cross sill to allow the right side sheet metal to slide a bit forward. The framework is accurate to within 1/16" both lineal and diametrically. It looks like I'll have to also make a thin shim strip to make up for a slight discrepancy in the sheet metal flange.

The clean shop is an optical illusion due to the forgiving nature of the camera. Dust and debris don't show up as well. It's not too bad though, as long as I don't drag any more projects in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

The Durant Motors Automobile Club