Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
original jacks

i have never seen on this forum anyone mention about jacks ! a must for our cars.i have what i was told a original star jack 1926 i got it from a fellow from quebec when i dought 4 doors from him he said it was under the frt. seat it is exactly the same colour as the doors that almost military green the casting reads
[made in canada]
auto.spec:manufacturing.co.
windsor.ont.]
if anyone has a jack they think might be original post it , buy the way the jack fits quit nicely under the see of my 26 sedan.

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star model r sedan

Re: original jacks

Hi Brian....

Can you post a picture of your jack?

I have never found one in any of my Durant or Star cars. Sure seems odd not to have one.

Hope to meet you in Vancouver.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Maybe Durant didn't have jacks. Remember the stories of dealers driving the cars with only 3 wheels to show stability. ha ha.

Discussed similar in the past about what tools if any did post 29 Durant's have. I found the wire wheel nut wrench under Dots front seat and the crank in the crank hole, the former owner turned the motor over annually to keep it free. I know the special Midland Steeldraulic pliers like ebay 140549592145, that just sold, but any other tools ?????

Ah found the former posting under Tools 1930, March 2 2006. Got a few postings on that and note I mentioned Terrys site under 617 shows jack under equipment. None of his other post 29 cars show tools / jacks. His pre 30 .. M4, 40, and 60 mentions tool kits, 1923 B22 mentions full set of tools, A22 1922 & 24 full set of tools, but none say jack.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

I have an original tool list for the Flints and they list a jack and a jack handle (different than the crank). Jim G.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint

Hi All....

Here is a page from a 614 parts list that Dave Schulte provided.....

Photobucket

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Thanks Frank ... was just going to add that 1930 614 page to this forum, from Dave. Noted it didn't say tool kit like prior to 30's had nor the brake pliers that sold for $1.10 in 1938.

Wonder if that jack with handle, was one of those cast iron things with gear on outside that turned the inner gear to turn the screw that lifted the center of the jack ? Handle was attached and could be used to lift or lower the jack, depending on where you had the stop placed in the outside gear to crank it. Haven't seen one of those for years.

At least we know the cars had jacks, now. I assume the Canadian vehicles tools were from a Canadian supplier, like Brian's jack is. Much the same as shock's on the 30's up were Munro shocks made by Acme Gear Co in Toronto, or my rad made in Walkerville Ont.

Dave has sent me another page # 77 titled Models 612 - 614 from his parts book which includes now

20628 Tool Kit
42386 Tire Pump

HI NORM
THE JACK YOU DESCRIBED IS EXACTLY THE STYLE
THAT CAME WITH THE STAR DOORS I BOUGHT FROM A FRENCH FELLOW AT BARRIE FLEA MARKET,AND LIKE I SAID EARLIER IT IS THE SAME ORIGINALE COLOUR THAT MY 26 SEDAN WAS PAINTED THAT MILITARY GREEN.

Hi Brian .. never been to Barrie flea market in all my years mixed up in vintage cars. I thought I had once when the market was at Barrie many years ago, but Diana always said no I hadn't.

Should have paid more attention to the cast iron jack yesterday, at Lombardy flea market that was a very poor showing. Been raining forever here and everything is water logged. Bet there was less than 15 vendors and mostly junk not even related to cars. Lots of sites marked for vendors but rain must have kept them away. The jack I saw was minus the handle and of course I was tunnel visioned to finding any 30 - 32 parts. I never expect to find anything there but you never know. Three years ago the passenger outside handle for a 32 was sitting in a heap of handles. Since 30 - 32 backing plates seem to be unique to Durant only, it about screamed at me. Over paid at $5 for it as I could have paid $2, ha ha. Worth every penny when its exclusive to 32 only, and the locking one at that.

HI NORM
SORRY TO HERE ABOUT YOUR WIFE BUY THE WAY,I MENTIONED HER PASSING TO MY 1ST NATIONS GIRLFRIEND SHE SAID WITH A LITTLE SMILE [I WONDER WHAT SHE WILL BE] ? IN HER SOCIETY WE JUST MOVE ON TO ANOTHER LIFE ALL CHEIFS FROM HER NATION RETURN AS KILLER WHALES I WILL RETURN AS A COUGAR,SHE WILL BE AN EAGLE.I AM NOT MAKING LIGHT OF YOUR WIFES PASSING JUST ITS INTERESTING TO SEE A DIFFERENT SOCIETY,S VEIW ON SOMONES PASSING.IN OUR CASE I AM A PREDITOR,SHE WILL BE MY EYES AND WHAT I LEAVE SHE WILL FEED ON .
I JUST CAME FROM THE WEST CAOST FLEEMARKET HERE LOTS OF VENDERS FEW BUYERS NO STAR OR DURANT STUFF EXCEPT I BOUGHT 3 WINDOW REGULATORS HE THOUGHT THEY WERE A,S BUT THEY WERE STAR DURANT. DID FIND THE GUY WHO BUILT A SPARE RAD 6CLY I HAVE THOUGH .I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST CLEANED AND PRESSURE TESTED BUT HE SAID IT WAS A BRAND NEW CORE.HE DID IT ABOUT 12 YRS AGO IT WAS A REAL FIND,HE TOLD ME A 30 31 MODEL A RAD CORE CAN BE MADE TO FIT THE STAR TANKS BUT YOU HAVE TO BE EXPERIANCED AT HONEYCOMB RADS .THAT MIGHT HELP SOME OF OUR MEMBERS ,HE IS RETIRED NOW.BUY THE WAY NORM I BUY ANYTHING STAR AND DURANT WHEN AT THESE SHOWS MOST DON,T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE AND THERES PRACTICALLY NO BUYERS FOR OUR STUFF.
CHEERS BRIAN GO CANUCKS GO

Hi Brian....
I send you some pictures of the original tools of Rugby 1928. The jacks is the original rugby 1928.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 1928

The Durant Motors Automobile Club