Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel problems

In getting the Star out of storage for the Gold Country Tour I ran into two problems.

First, a copper line had broken at the fitting. This is the second time this has happened. Were the lines originally copper? Would steel be better? The same for the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel pump?

Second, the uptake tube in the gas tank has deteriorated or is otherwise broken so that I can only pump the top 4 or 5 gallons. How is this repaired? Does the tank have to be disassembled?

Where Are You From? Just North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Fuel problems

Hello Vince
The gas line I have is copper tubing, probably not original...but 40+ years old. You'll need to do a little CSI, is the copper to hard for the flare?, flaring tool too sharp/cheap? Was a gas filter added near (allowing for vibration)? Does the gas tank move/loose?

As for the vacuum line and the tube for the spark/advance...I thought they were copper but learnt they were brass (original), once I had them cleaned up.

The gas take-up may require unsoldering the fitting from the tank to access.

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22

Hi Vince.....

Another good idea is to put a vibration loop in any copper line.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Thought I'd put my two cents worth in. My fuel lines and lines from the vacuum tank are all copper for me and they look original. My vacuum line that goes up to the windshield wiper is steel. So Bob you say they should be brass?

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Vince,

In the 29 Roadster the lines to from the gas tank my vacuum tank and the lines on the top of the vacuum tank are brass. I have since replaced the lines on the top of the tank with copper.

Steel would be stronger, but copper is much easier to work with.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Vince,
I don't know if you are familiar with what is called a "double flair" when flairing tubbing, it is simply an additional step in the flairing process that inverts the tube and makes a much stronger flair. This requires the flairing kit that has the dyes....A vibration loop is good for your vacuum source but may be concidered a possiable vaporlock point in your fuel feed.
Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Durant Touring / '29 Model 40 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club