Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Distributor

In putting together a 1929 Durant Touring Sedan with a 15L engine. The distributor I have is a GB4006C auto lite (which is listed for a 14L engine)Whereas the 15L engine calls for a GB 4008B. Are these compatible or should I be looking for the later?
Also, for interest --the serial # is D65-L2290 and the listing says that the numbers didn't start until the 2400's. Anyone have an explanation for that one?

Where Are You From? Lundbreck,Alberta,Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. I am restoring 2 - 1928 durants and 1- 1929

Re: Distributor

We have a 1929 D63 with a 15L and a 4006B distributor, it works fine and I think it is original
Thank you

Where Are You From? Cerritos California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D63

1928 65 Touring or sedan registered in 29 ??

Dennis .. don't panic .. lol. I assume you are talking the VIN numbers listing. You run off one in the past that is before Feb 2009 it will be missing VIN's for Jan for 40, 65 and 75 plus models in wrong years.

This is what I mentioned in my posting "Who made the gauges in durant" on Nov 30. The serial number listing is out of wack still for the 40 and other models. All plants started at 1001 until Aug 28, after 1927, for each year mostly.

You mean T not L for 2290, I assume? If so look again at 65 and line before has T1001 up (1/28)..line after has T2452 - T2721. 1st line should show T1001 to T2451. If so your car was made before Aug 28 1928. Easier to use Terry's site 1st, then this one and compare info. If L2290 then its still pre Aug 1928.

Just noted 75 is incorrect as shown L1001 - L9499 to Aug yet Aug up is L3001 - L5000 Terry's site has total production at L9499. Perhaps both sites wrong ? can see pulling ones hair out trying to get it all correct.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Hi Dennis & Norm
The Model 65 was only produced in 1928 so Dennis' car was probably sold in 1929 and titled then. Back in those days many cars were not titled until they were sold which often could be the year later. My casting date for my 15L engine is December 1927 with a casting date of the engine in January 1928. obviously they just picked heads to match up with the engine at the time of build. The model 65 is a rather rare car for some reason and a bit fancy if I do say so myself. I guess many choose to either buy the cheaper version the Model 55, which is a basic Model Star M2 or the fancy top of the line Model 75 which was bigger and faster. These three models the 55, 65 and 75 only lasted for 1928 as the models changed in 1929 on. There are several unique items I'm finding on my model 65 that does not show up on some other Durant cars.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Hi Mike, yes I know 65 was a 1928 and like most models got titled in next year as 29 not 28. Julie's 617 seems to be one, deceased Gord Taylor's early 30 614 is shown as 31. He had a plate that said 1930, having given up with MOT. There's a 612 coup in Photos as 1932 and could be 30 or 31.

I would imagine the 40 was the most popular as every mans car. Those 40's were all over the place like McDicks hamburg stores are now on every corner.

Yes you are finding yours, like our cars, don't carry same parts as same model or other models. Durant / Dominion Motors and I'm sure DeVaux, just used accessible parts from anywhere to push the cars out the Plant's door.

I was cleaning up my piles of paper beside the PC and got rid of a bunch. One envelope was from Bill Sherk with pages out of a 1973 book on Canadian Cars, on Dominion Motors. Hadn't realized how few Frontenac's were made 1932, seeing as no one seems to know production numbers on our Dominion cars. 595 in Ont and perhaps 200 - 300 rest of Canada. Not a great amount, no wonder only a few remain. Says Frontenac came in eighth in popularity and Durant's sixth. Also confirms Durant was out of business in the US for months in 1931, we know that. Ah more info 1931 150 total Fronty's were made. Interesting where one picks up tid bits of info. Bill sent the pages to me three years ago and I put them to one side. Bill had told me orig he was sending info on the 32 614 and would follow up with write up on Dot for Old Autos. Glad I didn't hold my breath, lol. Only indication in the pages was a mention 614 made also. Gee we know that.. sigh. I was hoping for info and pics.

Many thanks to Dave,Norm and Mike for their knowledgable answers. Norm-- on using a magnifying glass on the original VIN plate, we picked out a faint T so your assumption was correct. Certainly all your answers clarified the mystery. Very interesting. AND Dave, I'm going ahead with the other distributor so will let you know the outcome.
Thanks again guys. Hope to meet you in Vancouver next summer. (Summer ---what a thought! It's -35F, 2 feet of snow, and supposed to start blowing tomorrow!!!

Where Are You From? Lundbreck,Alberta,Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. I am restoring 2 - 1928 durants and 1- 1929

Dennis ... keep the snow etc out there. We have had only a slight dusting last week, which went, and ice covered everything Monday, also gone, been nippy though. Didn't care for slip sliding down the stairs and laneway to the road Monday morn at 5:00 am, to walk / slide up to corner for the two free newspapers for puzzles part. Our street goes down hill at beginning until the bend, and its nothing to see cars sliding down the slope unable to do anything. We're further down the street and use other end to by pass this problem. Been hard to keep a tree directly at bottom of the hill and every year stump was replaced. Current one seems to be lucky the last few years. One year OCTranspo bus just caught the top of the street and down the bus came backwards, lol.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club