Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slotted Flat Head V Square Drive Flat Head Screws

I have found that the Canadian built '29 M-40 Coupe that I am restoring was assembled using both slotted and square drive screws in the original wood framing and moreso of the square drive...Until now I had thought that the only screws used in our Durants were slotted drive...I see that McMasters Karr carries the (strickly) square drive screws rather than the duel drive screws that I have been using from the local hardware...Wondering what our Canadians are using? Those Square Drives screws seem to make life much easier.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 / 28 M-4

Re: Slotted Flat Head V Square Drive Flat Head Screws

Bill The square drive screws are Robertson Screws, the company started making the design in 1908. They still have a headquarters in Toronto. It seems most/all Leaside cars used plenty of them. The 633 has quite a few. Bob

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 6-33

Hi Bill & Bob.....

My Canadian built cars also have the square drive (Robertson) screws. Much better than the straight slot ones used on other cars.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars and a Durant-Dort buggy (one horse power)

Yep we used Robinson's in most cars in Canada, US the standard slotted type. They were invented in Canada and used widely here.

In the past, at US judging of our cars, we lost points for having Robinson screws until the US got educated on our cars sort of. The Canadian Model A Ford has one or two differences to the US ones such as bumper medallions and Robinson's screws in all our A Ford's. As Bob noted his 633 also has the Robinson screws. So yes Bill you have the right screws.

If doing a woodwork project I much prefer the Robinson's over fighting with slotted ones. Don't much care for Phillips either. Robinson's as you found out make life a lot easier. Much like using a socket wench without the socket. Red screwdriver is the most common. Robinson screw drivers are mainly black, red or green handles and you know right off what screw slot to use by the colour of the handle. Yellow is smaller than the green one.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Bill:
If you can't get any of the Robertson screws, let me know what size you need and I will get them for you. I can send samples and also get you a set of the screwdrivers if needed.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Don't forget the electric drill Robinson's as well Gord.
Found those very handy driving screws up from the basement into the hardwood floors in an attempt to stop squeaking floors. Hasn't worked unfortunately. Campeau used a lot of wood in building the homes in the 50 / 60's, none of the plywood or partical boards used later homes. All pine / spruce subflooring and tongue / groove in roof. Well built homes just very squeaky now. My brother attempted the same thing in his home driving up piles of screws. Can't use the trick of baby powder on the hardwood floors as they are all carpeted over.

Thanks guys for all the history and Info on the Robertson's, I had thought they had a name other than Square drive...The #2 and #3 square drive adapters seem to fit the Robertsons screws, so I would suspect that they are one and the same.

Bill

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 Model 40 / 28 M-4

Hello..
The information which I gathered being here is very nice and useful to me. I am glad I visited here and gathered a huge resource. I will definitely look forward to it.

Where Are You From? USA

Looks like a plug for some quality Chinese Garbage. Where is the "delete" button when you need it?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Been trying to figure what Don means by the garbage remark. I have been using the robertson screws for some years. They sure beat the slotted type for any use I have had. Better grip and not so many stripped heads. Beats the phillips for good grip too. I understand the screw drivers are hard to get in the states but if anyone needs a set I will get them here and send them to you. There are 4 common sizes and a few larger ones can be found but are seldom used. Can also get the driver types to use in the drill in all 4 sizes

Ken

Ken, I was referring to the post on the 27th made by "cottondunn" which seems to be a spam post.
I agree with the consensus on the square drive screws. I have found many of them on my Star projects.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Black, Red, Green and Yellow .. eh Ken ? Red most popular

Don
I was pretty sure you were not meaning the robertson screws-- just couldnt figure what. I was curious about the post he made as well.
No offense meant
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club