Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Else Do You Collect?

Obviously all of us who visit this web site collect items related to Durant Motor Company and it's related off shoots. But what else do you collect? I collect brass blow torches and toy tractors from the 50's 60's and 70's. I'm pretty sure Rick Botti is interested in antique radios. What else do you guys collect? I'm sure there are some interesting collections out there.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Re: What Else Do You Collect?

Hi Dave:
I collect "Animal Egg Cups" I have over 120 now, with a few duplicates. I also collect small tins. This started with a couple of "Forest & Stream" tobacco tins that belonged to my Grandfather and the collection grew from there.
My wife collects "Barbie Dolls" and has miniature doll houses 1" scale.
Just a lot of fun
Gord & Mary Carolyne

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

Though my collecting habits have slowed down some, I also collect "Goofus Glass", pre 1910 kerosene lamps, 1945-54 Lionel trains, and most anything old and rusty.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe

Hi Dave, Good teaser topic for the Forum!! I am pretty into my Indian Motocycles. I got my first Chief when I was 20(I got my first STAR 8 years earlier).Since my '47 Chief,I have accumulated a'39 Jr Scout,a'38 Chief(W/sidecar),a '41 Four and another '47 Chief. Then there is all those Hondas. After that comes my wife's '64 Corvair convertible(her daily driver and one of 3). I'm kind of a history buff(Span-Am era)so I collect millitaria from that period.My wife is into Barbies(big time),black collectibles,depression glass and antiques.We don't have near enough room for all this junk so don't let this sickness happen to YOU!!

Where Are You From? Prescott, Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 STAR tourer

My number one love is Woodies. I got my first a 1947 Ford when I was 15 ½ in 1967 (only 5 years from sense then have I not had a Woodie, the only one on ever on the road though, was my first). I currently have a 1950 Fiat Woodie basket case. I've been a member of the National Woodie Club for over 30 years. I collect miniature Woodies and have about 150 of them. Also anniversary clocks, cartoon character watches and coins. My wife collects nativities and has about 80 of them.

Where Are You From? Riverside, Calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Interesting question:

I collect: stamps, coins, lighthouse replica statues, lighthouse art and other lighthouse objects, eagle statues, and old architecture books.

Peg collects: Nativity scenes (the number is approaching 1000 with this year's purchases)

Together we collect original art, primarily Hawaiian seascapes and Hawaiian florals, as well as aquatic sculptures.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63, 1930 Durant 407, 1931 Durant 619

Hi All....

Excellent topic! Now I can show Cathy that I'm not the only crazy one!!

I like and collect anything old. Besides the Durant & Star cars we also have 8 Model T Fords (1916-1925), a 1929 Model A coupe(actually drove it in our wedding)A 1927 Buick, two 1929 Chevies, A 1920 & 1923 Overland touring a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 XL and Cathy's 2004 Chevy SSR.

Besides the Durant Dort buggy, we have a J.P. Graves one horse sleigh. Also have some old Farmall tractors, F-12 & 14 as well as M's and Cubs. As well as old equipment a couple saw mills and old farm equipment.

The small stuff: Lionel trains tin plate, through MPC. Old radios, battery sets through early transistor portables. Records ( mostly early 50's to mid 60's rock & roll) First Gear die cast truck. And tools & machinery of all kinds.

I told Cathy I have to live to 300 just to catch up on projects.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown, Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 16 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy (one horse power)

Dave is correct, I do enjoy repairing and old tube radio from the 30's and 40's. Aside from the occasional electric shock, they are cleaner to work on and smaller to store than cars.

One of my favorite radios is a 1929 Atwater-Kent model 55, see below. Very high tech for its day.

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 roadster

Hi. Well I know that I cannot top Frank. I also have other cars. 1915 T speedster, 26 Cleveland cupe 29 Roosevelt 8 cyl sedan body by Hayes. I also collect old 45 speed records mainly of the 50s&60s Ionly have about 7500 of them. Sonia collects tea for two pots

Where Are You From? wet Caif

Do You own a car built by Durant? several Stars

Besides cars, I collect campaign buttons. I don't collect them any more but I have a complete set of Playboys from No. 1 to 1975. There's more skin in today's Women's magazines than in some of those early Playboys. I've also got a set of Cars & Parts from the second year to present. I can't bring myself to throw them away but don't know what to do with them.

Besides that, I hold on to anything old I come across: telephones, tools, Lionel trains, etc.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

hello friends,
i collect durant cars tosell to frank....hahah....
i also have many records...33 1/3 and others back to the 1930-70's.....some cast iron toys....i build dollhouses when time allows, especially barbie townhouses (4feetx4feet..three stories with elevators)...and several 1"scale dollhouses have been made and given....i have some odd coins from other countries and many indian head pennies...several car cast models and boxes of hot wheels...i like "allard car literature and pictures.....and many other odds and ends ....i have a nixon button, and an original mickey mouse watch too....and a fairly good sized and old to the 1870's stamp collection.with several first day envelopes stamped and sent......hey charlie, give me a call about them....also at 67 years i collect aches and pains of almost any description..lol....i do not throw anything away, either tho i promised myself this is the year to downsize everything...haha what are the chances of that happening??? anything sound interesting to anyone????

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 star roadster, 1929 model 70 durant coupe, 1931 durant 6-14 sedan

hello friends,
Great topic for discussion or confession; I am a CAR-AHOLIC, or a Save-aholic!
I collect "cars" and most car related things (accessories, tools, ad's , memorabilia, car models, car magazines) as well as all things old [ask my past wives, ha,ha]!!! My car/truck collection has gotten past 30 but not all finished; my friends say "Not enought Heartbeats to finish them all" (Too True!). Like most of you I am a History buff and collect most old things. I have picked up too-much old furniture and knick knacks, so my house now looks like a museum! But I'm most proud of My car Book collection which has gotten past 500 books, plus I have shelves of other "antique" books from the 1800's and early 1900's. For awhile I collected degrees. My wife collected "collector dolls" for awhile (expensive, compared to cars")till she got bored and stopped that!Now she collects; Shoes, Purses, Dresses, Makeup, etc. Ha,Ha.

Overall my "car" thing is an affliction that I am trying to desperately bring under control since I have started collecting storage locations too, Ha,Ha,. However even today a friend offered me a 66 Mustang Conv stored for 20 years,in good shape and Cheap![Looking at it Tomorrow], and last month I passed up a "Barn Find" 33 Pierce Arrow Sedan offered to me, again for "Cheap" (however compared to Durant products, it's relative): but a bit too, Too Expensive: i.e. $1000 Distributors, $400 rought Wire Wheels(each), $2000+ Fenders, Ouch, No thanks!

Lately I am collecting "Road-trips"; to get memories, old car parts, and NEW friends! Much Cheaper and more fun too, Ha,Ha.

Boy I should have collected Real Estate, 40, 30 or 20 Years ago instead of cars (I'd be Rich)! Oh Well, I'm happy and my Son can figure out what to do with all of this S...("stuff") someday when I go to Big "Junkyard" in the sky!
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Most of all, I have collected vintage American Pocket Watches. I recently went through the Walthams and found that I am only 10 watches short of having at least one from every year they were in business.
I have several from all companies in business from 1857 to 1940's Elgin, Hamilton, South Bend, Illinois,
Howard, Columbus, and the list goes on.
If any of you would like a pocket watch made the same year as your favorite car, let me know, I should have one.
My newest obsession is trout fishing, although I've been fishing for over 35 years, the past 10 years I have focused on rivers, I've collected a great collection of images taken in my favorite rivers.
The best thing about fishing is I collect memories.
At least those don't take up space in my garage.

Happy New year to you all!

Where Are You From? Templeton, MA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63

I also collect victrolas

Where Are You From? wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

Wow! It is nice to know that our members have other interests, and some of the things that are being collected are very interesting. Would love to hear from some other members.

Gary, when Peg and I return to NJ in Feb I will give you a call about collecting stamps. It has been a hobby of mine for 60 years.

charlie

Where Are You From? NJ CA HI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-63, 1930 Durant 407, 1931 Durant 619

What a great posting Dave. Didn't know some of this about my fellow Durantonians. Right now I'm primarily collecting Durant parts, but I also have a collection of American Civil War items, original documents and lately Civil War medical instruments since I am a Reenactor and portray a surgeon of that time period. I also collect World War II rifles from the various allied and axis countries and like Gary and Charlie have quite a large collection of U.S, Confederate and foreign stamps. My brother gave me my first album when I was 12 years old as a birthday present and I've been collecting off and on since then. Put it down for a number of years and have picked it back up again the last several years.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Good one!

Well I collect mostly junk....

Photobucket

And I collect vintage recording equipment.

Photobucket

I have a large collection of vintage saxophones
all Conn Artist models from the 1920's. Antique music
sheets ,Beatles stuff, vintage amps,effects,guitars,
records, media......

and then I also collect money!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant

According to my wife I want to collect anything as long as its rusty or has big boobs-lolol I do collect coins and stamps as well as old car stuff for my car Seems as tho I also collect other peoples old thrown away cars --I have been given 2 older cars and took them rather than see them crushed. A 1967 A M C ambassador and a 76 americam eagle coupe . Anyone interested in buying these can have them at a very reasonable price
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B.C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant Model 614 Deluxe Rumble Seat Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club