Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thoughts and needs for my star model F 1925 roadster

hello men,
i am happy to say i just got my rear brakes opened up and the parts look good...better that i thought they would be given the wet barn it came from.....question is. what are we doing for the brake materials...woven stuff needed on the brakes, molded stuff does not work i am told...who is selling it?....also,
i will be looking for a windshield especially the posts and the bottom part with curved shaped bottom bar, a vacuum tank, possibly some roadster top bows, and i could use a couple of good rims..(although i guess it is easier to modify new repro model T rims....and last, is there a source for new seat botom springs or someone with a good one to spare?????? any insights and thoughts welcomed !!
hope to see you at hershey ......regards, gary k

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

Re: thoughts and needs for my star model F 1925 roadster

Gary
I would contact Mike he probably has a vacume tank for you as he repairs them and has some around I'm sure. I would give Don a call about the wheels as he had a company restore his and we saw them in Texarkana and they looked great. He was in the process of having someone give him a bid on making the fellows for them. I think Frank W has a source for the brake lining or something you could use.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Gary,

McMasters carrys both woven and molded lining and is sold by the foot,they also have the brass rivets.

In regard to top bows, if you have connections or know of a member that has connections with the Amish they can make up oak bows with just the dimentions, they are very reasonable and do great work, there is also " Mels" (I don't have his card handy) who makes the Chickasha circuit, don't know about Hershy, who is a vender with the Amish and can make them up.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 M-40 Coupe

Concerning your spring question, I don’t know if your springs are completely missing or if you just need to replace some or all of them. There is an article in the Oct Auto restorer on replacing seat springs and they were able to have some springs made at http://snydersantiqueauto.com If you are a little more adventures there is an article at http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html on “How to Make Springs” that is very informative. The article does say that there should be spring shops listed in the phone book and to try Detroit or Los Angeles if none in your area. I am in the process of upholstering my 25 Star Coach, not sure how close the springs would be but could provide pictures or measurements if it would help. If you are having an upholstery shop redo the seats, they also might be able to help.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Coach

Re: thoughts and needs for my star model F 1925 roadster.

Gary,
Many 20's Durant/Star parts were sourced from the same suppliers as to GM. Your seat springs are very similar (probably same for same model, i.e. Roadster) as the early Chevrolets from the 20's. For springs and or upholstery contact Hampton Coach at 1-888-388-8726, or www.hamptoncoach. Likewise other listings under "Chevrolet 1911-1954 Parts" in Hemmings should also help. Hopes this helps you.
Lance C.

Where Are You From? Niceville Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

hello men,
many thanx for both inputs. i have the old springs so i will check the sources for similar units for sale...and will contact the businesses to see what's available...hope to meet you at hershey....regards, gary

Where Are You From? plymouth meeting, pa. u.s.a.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 6-14 4 dr. "coach" ; 1929 durant model 70 coupe ; 1925 star "F" roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club