Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throw Out Bearing Noise....Help required.

I have quite a bit of noise coming from my throwout bearing area.

It is the forks clanging (clicking) agaisnt the throwout bearing ( and/or holder ?) as the bearing turns with engine.

By slightly pressing on the clutch pedal (i.e. applying slight pressure to throwout bearing) the clinking stops.

I do notice (when forks are not agaisnt bearing) that the bearing is quite loose on clutch shaft (i.e. slap it up and down 1/4 inch or so). Is this correct ?

I had the 3 bolts on clutch... slightly tighter before which pushed on "bars" into the throwout bearing which then pushed the throwout bearing agaisnt the forks (thow activated by the clutch), this stopped the clinking but left my clutch SLIPPING... on big hills... So I had to loosen off on 3 clutch bolts to stop the sliding.. but then here I am back with the clicking...

Where should the forks (operated by clutch) be relative to throwout bearing during normal operation ?

I have been putting 600w oil in my throwout bearing; but I have found on old Star throwout bearing with a grease nipple ... is grease the solution ?

Help totally appreciated.
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Touring

Re: Throw Out Bearing Noise....Help required.

Guy,The best advise I can offer is go to the tech page under Reproduction Parts and get in touch with Vancouver Durant Star Connection and order a new throw out bearing.

Where Are You From? WI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupster

I looked at my set up and it looks designed for the clutch fork to ride lightly on the bearing. This holds the other end of the bearing, with 3 square cut outs, against the 3 clutch arms. Adjusted like this it won't click. The bearing may be bad or out of adjustment. Glenn

Where Are You From? Tucson, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Thanks for advice Glen...

Guy

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Nodel M touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club