Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vacuum tank

Dear friends,

I will soon be starting my 1927 RUGBY model "M" restoration and unfortunately when I bought this lovely ar the Stewart Vacuum Tank was missing. Is there anything alternative that could replace this part? I'm sure in Brazil it won't possible to find this one.
Can I count on your help and advice, guys?

Thank you,

Dib Franciss

Where Are You From? BRAZIL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 Rugby, Model M

Re: Vacuum tank

I found this website but since my mechanics know-how is very very limited I would like to ask you if this electric fuel pump would replace what I am looking for.

Here is the link:
http://www.classicpreservation.com/elecfuelpumps.html

Thank you again.

Dib Franciss

Dib: I always recommend against putting a electric fuel pump due to the problems it causes. Vac tanks are available quite reasonably because most cars used them during the twenties. Some people do use electric fuel pumps and they can answer your question on what one to install if you go this route.
Jan

Where Are You From? Ft. Thomas, Ky

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 star coupe

Dear Jan,

This should be a wonderful idea to put an electric pump.
Would you recommend me where to buy a good one for a good price?
I will meet my mechanic and I will bring the info I receive here.
Thank you again for your fast response.

Dib Franciss

I still didn't find a carburetor for this same car. It also came missing when I bought the car.

hi dib
on my 26 star i use a inline 12 volt fuel pump .why 12 volt it pumps with very little pressure when on a 6 volt system,eliminating flooding at the carb.you should pay no more than 40$american for this pump,available at most aftermarket auto supply stores.good luck.
brian boys

Where Are You From? victoria bc

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

Brian,

Did you by chance verify your fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge? I reciently ran across an AC -EP12S 12V electric pulse type pump and thought the same as you, that the pressure would be much less using 6Volts...I found that the 12v pump worked on 6volts so installed my Snap-On fuel pressure guage and found that the pump still had the full 6 + lbs pressure, I also found that the pump would stop working if the battery was ran down to about 5 1/2 volts... I think that I would recommend using a 6 volt pump either a rotery Airtex or a pulse type that is compatable with all fuels and also using a Holley 1 through 4 lb pressure regulator. Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A-22 Touring / '29 M-40 Coupe

Bill Hoaglan has it right. All the electric fuel pumps, pump too much pressure for all our old cars carburetors even the new Zenith carbs Frank sells. Must use a pressure regulator. Don't use those cheap blister packed ones with the big knob on them as they do not work. Use only the low pressure Holly. The Holly I don't think is making that anymore so may have to shop around. It is chrome plated fully adjustable with a allen wrench.
I'm running that very same set up on my 26 Star touring car and works perfect. I am running all 12 volt electrical.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Many

Dear friends,

Yesterday I sent a message to that website about the fuel pumps and asked about the electric ones that he has for sale. It is a bit expensive...I would be happier if I could find a cheaper but good option.
Well, I just received a response from him, which I share with you:

Hello Dib,

Yes, you could use one of those electric pumps I sell BUT---you would need to locate a fuel regulator that could lower their output pressure to 1/2 pound.
Basically, the vacuum tank systems operated at atmospheric pressure, and anything more that about 1/2 pound pressure will cause the carburetor to
flood.

I'll wait to hear back from you.

Best wishes.

Hal Houghton
Classic Preservation Coalition
www.classicpreservation.com
houghton@classicpreservation.com
See my book "Journeys" at www.halhoughton.com
(518) 374-5078

If your gasoline there has ethanol added, it may cause the diaphram in an electric pump to dissolve and clog your carb. My car came with an electric pump in line with a vaccum one in case it failed. The seals and diaphram dissolved and clogged everything. It was like soft tar. I replaced it with a "new" pump that the parts store said could handle the ethanol but it did the same thing.

Since my vacuum pump has never failed, I removed the electric one for good. As it is, if the vacumm pump fails, you can alway remove the top and pour in a quart or more of gas to get you some place safe.

The vacumm pumps are readily available here and should be anywhere old cars are collected. Rebuilding one is no more difficult that rebuilding a carb.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Dear Vince,

Thanks for sharing your own experience. I confess I am confused about what to do: if to decide for a vacuum or an electric one.
Anyway, in my country and specially in my city that is only 49 years old it is impossible to find a vacuum tank.
I would be very grateful if any of you could send me a link or a tip where I could find a good and cheap vacuum tank.

Thank you and Thanks for this great forum !

Dib Franciss

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 RUGBY model M

Dib,

Contact Mike Larson, he is in the Roster. He does not have email, but will answer your letter.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant Model 60 Sport Roadster

Dear Rick,

Thank you for your kind response.
How can I get his address? I will then write him a letter.
Sorry for my poor English, but what is Roster?
Thank you again,

Dib Franciss
(dibfranciss@hotmail.com)

Where Are You From? Brazil

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a 1927 RUGBY, model M

The roster is a list of members in the durant club. It is the membership list and don't worry about your English. It is excellent.
Jan

Where Are You From? Ft. Thomas, Ky

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 star coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club