Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RUGBY HUB-Caps.

I´m looking for HUB-CABS in Aluminium, with RUGBY pressed on the outer -face.

Where Are You From? germany, meezen

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby Pick up truck built 1929

Re: RUGBY HUB-Caps.

There is a company in Australia that makes reproduction parts for Rugby and Durant cars.
They have some for 1925 Rugby.

The link is:

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/rugby.htm

There is also a webpage in Australia that list cars and parts for sale. Their address is:

http://www.restored-classic.com/durant-parts/

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Roadster

Allright,
thanks for that. I did have a look on that website. The trouble is those hub-caps don´t fit on my car. I have steel-spoke wheels and the caps are bigger ! The name RUGBY is press in from the inside to outside. So I can´t use them from australia at all. But anyway thanks for the response.

I meen there are not too many cars here in germany, more in Norway and sweden. So it will be difficult for me to get contact to other owners.

Is there somewhere some kind of regetry, where I could find out what is the exact year and model of my truck.????

And is there a possibility of putting a picture on this site, so everybody knows what I´m looking for ??? It would be a lot easier for me putting a picture on this site than discribing it....

Thorsten

Where Are You From? germany, meezen

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby Pick up truck built 1929

Hello.... By all means, a picture is worth a thousand words! Sorry I don't know anything about the Rugby's, but I do use photobucket to post my pictures to this forum. Club President Rick Botti explained this process a while back (maybe a year ago) on this forum. You may be able to find this explanation by using the search at the top of this page. Hope this helps....Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint

posting pictures -- see top right side of this page----beside truck picture.
There are the instructions And if that is not enough Rick Botti will be able to instruct you further.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON CANADA

Do You own a car built by Durant? YUP

Hubcaps for wire wheels will be more difficult, not impossible but it will take time for you to locate them. Durant used two kinds of wire wheels in 1929, one used four bolts and the other five. All wire wheels were used on the Deluxe models at an extra cost. In some case a new car buyer could order a standard model and pay extra for the wheel and brakes. Yes the brake drums are different too. This is because the brake drums had to have a special hub for use with wire wheels,

I have wire wheels on my 29 Durant, it took me a few years to find the caps, most were located at swap meets and EBay. Since Rugby's were sold outside of the United States you may some luck at

http://www.ebay.de/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/
http://www.ebay.ca/
http://www.ebay.com.au/

The website I recommend watching the most is this one in Australia:
http://www.restored-classic.com/durant-parts/

Yes, send me pictures of your truck and I will post them for you.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, California USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Hi, now the blond guy from germany knows how to put pictures into the forum.
I will make some more of those pieces I´m looking for and I hope some of you could give me some help.

Many thanks to Rick, we allready talked on the phone last weekend .

If anybody of you may know something about a truck like this one, I would like to get some more information or get in contact.

The picture shows the truck when I saw it the first time in a shop, six weeks later I had to pick it up and take it home.

Thorsten

Rugby truck 1930 1

Where Are You From? germany

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby truck

Interesting pic. I would imagine caps for those wheels would be hard to find.
Is this a 29 or 30 ? Rad shell / crest is that of a 30 - 32 Durant (Rugby) as are lights and fenders. VIN plate info will give model etc which can be used on Terry's site to identify it or in DMAC serial's for Rugby's.
Wheels look like the ones for 1931 406 in Terry's site but hood doen't have the name plate on the side. Front bumper seems 28 / 29. Cab looks like the deluxe and live stock body pic in his site for 406. Anything you can provide to help you ? 4 or 6 cyl ? VIN info ?
Cool truck.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

From the info Thorsten sent me this appears to be a 1930 615, with after factory built cab and box added in Norway. All he can read on the VIN plate is Rugby with serial number 1018. Where made is unknown US or Canada. Motor is a 22A, block cast Dec 1929 and head cast Jan 15 1930.

He's not going to restore the truck as he wants that used look but will drive it the way it is. If all went well he took it for a spin today.

Rick .... I wonder if the hub caps might be the same used on the 1930 - 32 sedans in aluminum but Rugby name. Perhaps not as catalogue has different part numbers for passenger cars versus trucks 1930 - 31

Here are more pictures of the Truck's engine and interior.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA USA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Deluxe Sport Roadster

Thanks Rick, Thorsten said he was going to send more pics to me later. He was right about not reading much on the VIN plate as to its birth place. Looks Canadian to me, ha ha.

Caps are sure the 30 - 32 style and dash is the 30 type instrument cluster. Bet I know someone here drooling over the square pulls, for his 407. Odd no dash spears nor holes where they might have been held on. Water pump leaks a bit and I mentioned about packing etc. He's looking for the oil canister and I explained it would be sheer luck if he finds one with anyone owning vehicles from the 30's to mid 50's also looking for the now none existant canister's, world wide. No one seemed interested in DMAC with Minikers NOS canisters in Dec($18.50 each or $15 each if buying 6 or more.) but the Plymouth Club sure was. Suggested Lance might have one. Thats a heavy duty stearing wheel, unlike our cars, meant for a truck.

Thought I should share this with you all, as part of his email to me.

Thanks a lot for that. (info I sent him) My brother and I took the Rugby out last night, we felt like Jon-Boy and Jim-bob out of the TV series - Walton´s Mountain. But anyway, it´s fun to ride and that´s the most important thing to enjoy the truck.

Allright,

My brother and I took a closer look on that VIN plate. People had there shoes allways on it through the hole life of this truck.

BUT, it is a

RUGBY 615 Express.!!

and if it is a US- Boy or even a Canadian.....from my side. We don´t care.

I have to take it with my 1957 Mercedes on long trips on my trailer . These two nearly match with there colour. And poeple deffinatly stop for looking at these two....haha

thorsten

Photobucket
Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 615 Express

Hi everybody,

I´m looking for taillights.

As you can see I have only one on the truck, but german law is different, even when it is original to have only one, I need to have 2 of them.

It would be a lot safer if I had two on the back of the truck.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

I wrote allready some emails and had a close look to many pages in the web but I couldn´t find something decent. I´d love to find the one more I´ve got, but even other models are ok.
The last Idea is to buy shiny ones and make them black , it is a wast of money but ....

I hope maybe to find some good old ones.
I´m also interested in knew or reproduction stuff.

So any Idea ? Just give me a short note, I know somebody of you should know something.

I talked to the last owner in sweden a few days ago. He told me, in 1930 there were around 20 Rugbys Pickup´s imported to Norway. And many other cars too. There should have been a dealer up in the north and I will try to find out who that was.

Theres also a transpotation magazin who want´s to make an artikle about Durant stuff, I will give him pics and the information I have.
If he wants more information I´ll give him advise to go on this web-site.

thorsten

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 651 Express

Have pick up the ret of a truck like this, vin 1052
Engin, gearbok, cooler ect.
Do you know of the norvegian story of yor truck

thorsten
Hi everybody,

I´m looking for taillights.

As you can see I have only one on the truck, but german law is different, even when it is original to have only one, I need to have 2 of them.

It would be a lot safer if I had two on the back of the truck.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

I wrote allready some emails and had a close look to many pages in the web but I couldn´t find something decent. I´d love to find the one more I´ve got, but even other models are ok.
The last Idea is to buy shiny ones and make them black , it is a wast of money but ....

I hope maybe to find some good old ones.
I´m also interested in knew or reproduction stuff.

So any Idea ? Just give me a short note, I know somebody of you should know something.

I talked to the last owner in sweden a few days ago. He told me, in 1930 there were around 20 Rugbys Pickup´s imported to Norway. And many other cars too. There should have been a dealer up in the north and I will try to find out who that was.

Theres also a transpotation magazin who want´s to make an artikle about Durant stuff, I will give him pics and the information I have.
If he wants more information I´ll give him advise to go on this web-site.

thorsten

Where Are You From? Norway

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Don't think we heard further from Thorsten on this matter. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on Rugby trucks and serial numbers as to what plant produced them. Both DMAC VIN's and Terry's site of info is missing that which has been discussed between another DMAC'er as we try to make some sense of the 30's vehicles.
Serials in DMAC don't list the 406, 615 or 616. Mentions the 614 with no letter for 1930 but an L letter 1931 / 32. Terry's site does mention the three models but with serials with L letter indicating Lansing plant.
However we know the Rugby was produced in Leaside Canada by both Durant Motors and Dominion Motors, after Durant failed US early 31. Serial letters for Canada plant ? Leaside was an export plant to Atlantic side of NA. So we could have exported the Rugby's 1018 and your 1052. To further muddy it up the 614 car and Rugby used same serials starting at 1001. So using Lansing as an example L 1001 could be both 614 Durant or 614 Rugby truck. I suppose same is true if Leaside if T 1001 for 614. Now you can argue its the name that makes the difference but cars were rebadged as Rugby outside NA, so no further ahead.

I found the remains of a 30's Rugby truck at a saw mill in the 1960's and have the rad crest off it. Engine was a 22A I recall, which is 6 cyl Durant / Frontenac cars and Rugby trucks of the 30's. Our Canadian after market catalogues, list parts for the 406, 615 / 616, as do the US ones.

I think I replied to Thorsten in an email back in 2009 about his 2nd taillight that it was also used on Dodge standard 6 1929 - 31, Chrysler 65, Plymouth 1928 - 31, Desoto 1928 - 31, Graham Paige 1928, besides the model 65 Durant plus 1930 - 32 Durant and 31 / 32 Frontenac's.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

There is a company in Australia that makes reproduction parts for Rugby and Durant cars.
They have some for 1925 Rugby
[ http://www.ezdia.com/epad/2013-mercedes-benz-sl-class-price-reviews/7980/]2013 mercedes benz sl-class[/url]

Where Are You From? india

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Hello Thorsten

Do you still have your Rugby truck? I have a Engine with gearbox, the cooler and the headlights on the headlightbar. This parts are the same as Dag Fjeld are mentioned in his replay.

Where Are You From? Norway

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Hello Jo-Olav ,

Yes I still own the Rugby .

In July 2018 , I had to take the engine out because of really bad compression test and very low oilpressure at all. As we got really into the engine we found out,
bad Pistons ,
bad Valves - 4 of the 6 Exhaust were burned,
the intake valves - fairly god,
Bearings bad , broken in peaces,
Camshaft - the chrome bearing on 2 bearings where gone,
the crankshaft was ok ok but needed attention.

So we decided to take the cabin of the frame , and take the engine out backwards , othgerwise the whole fender had to be removed...

The cabin construktion wood was also bad and had to be replaced .....
I haven´t done much with the Rugby in the past because of other matters and Family stuff.

As I can see you´re from norway. Were are you living ? I still have friends in Aurskog -Höland kommun . Maybe you could send me an email or tlf number , so we could talk ???

I will be glad to here from you.

cheers Thorsten

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 615 Pickup

20180714-134919
20180706-171150
20180714-142139
20180714-162826
20180714-162837

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 615 Pickup