Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Air Pressure in tires

Am wondering what people are generally running for air pressure in their tires.

I have a Model 40 Touring with 4.40 by 21 inches.

Would appreciate any comment

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model M

Re: Air Pressure in tires

Guy
If you check on the side wall of the tires you will see the pressure the tire manufacturer recommends. I think this is the best way to go.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant - model 614 deluxe runble seat coupe

no markings on tires

I had 32 lbs and brought it down to 26 lbs...

it really helps the ride...

Thoughts ???

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Model M

These narrow tires are more like bicycle tires. They use higher pressures than modern tires. I use 50 to 60 lbs in mine. I think they're 27 x 3.5. Just make sure your rims can handle the pressure.

Where Are You From? San Francisco, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Here is a quote taken from my A-22 Durant instruction manual..."Tires should be pumped up to 20-lbs per inch of sectional diameter, that is, the 31 X 4" tires used on the Durant should carry 80 lbs"...I'm not sure that your 4.4" crossectional tires would use this method or your pressure would require near 90 lbs which would seam rather high...One word of caution however, using too little air pressure on narrow tires can allow the tire to walk on the rim and will cut your valve stim, this very thing happened to a friend of mine.

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 / 1929 Model 40 Coupe

Guy,

I checked with Coker Tire this morning and they thought the tire pressure should be listed on the backside of your tire and that of coarse different brands could take different pressures, however if your tire was a Coker 21 X 4.50 it would take 32 psi, which is where you were from the gitty up...I see that you are from Piece River, Alberta...I have driven the stretch of Piece River from Hudson Hope to Fort StJohn, BC a coupla times and it is sure a Beautiful river in the fall.
Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 / 1929 Model 40 Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club