Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cam Shaft Babbiting Question

Hi guys.
I was in Calgary Alberta last week delivering my W5 block for babitting.
Mr. Horace Bauer of the Alberta Antique Car Association is in charge of their babitting operations.
I was given a tour of babitting shop and was very impressed with knowledges known and used.

My Problem :

Lance Haynes has my cam in L.A. and the front "sleeve/bearing" is babitted. And so measuring my own cam in not feasible right now.

I have been told that to measure any W5 cam for shaft circumference will do; as the shaft is steel and the babbitting, being lead and tin, is softer.

Horace Bauer says that 2 or 3 thou clearance will be ok (he works on 1 thou per inch of shaft ) otherwise he will pour a new babbit for cam.

But I have been warned that wearage, due to chain strain, may be ovular.

Another point Lance Haynes says to replace babbit with new sleeve and to do this also to middle and back cam supports which are just bored directly in the block.

I am looking for agrees, disagrees, thoughts ?

Thanks in advance
Guy

Where Are You From? www.bcsaggregates.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? Grandpa's 1926 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club