Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wiring harness installation

Yep--its that time.
I am going to have my wiring harness installed next week. I have a few questions first. Does the fuse block fit inside the fire wall or outside in the engine compartment. My thought is inside . Hope I am right. Is there any little tricks I should know about putting this in. I have a good friend that is an expert at wiring NEW cars -dont know how he is at the old ones but hopefully he will be good . What is the best way to start ? put the wires inside the firewall and then stretch them out to the headlights,
tail lights and engine compartment ? Or start at the headlights and work to tail lights? I am really in the dark about wiring so would appreciate any info I can get. Thanks all
Ken
PS Want to hear that vroooom vroooom when it starts up

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Re: wiring harness installation

Ken,
I would suggest using the previous member supplied wiring diagram as a GUIDE to getting started for wire layout. Fuze block inside (probably attached to firewall).

Then run Headlight and other wires (as required; Horn, Coil, etc?) Forward (using Grommets)through the firewall, along the Left inner fender to the Left headlight, then(usually) over the Radiator to the Right headlight.

Run the necessary Dash/Instrument wires Upward to the Instruments/Switches as required. Any Battery wires oviously come in from the Floor to your Switch, etc. Battery Ground generally to the Starter (if used)or engine Block. Engine Block has to be grounded to the Frame with a Braided Strap.

Lastly run the necessary Taillight wires rearward along the left frame rail to the rear. Keeping away from Friction or Heat sources, tied to the frame with Clips.

These are "General" instructions that apply to most cars. Hopes this helps you.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Ken,
Whoops, I left out the most important part; Marking (for Function; i.e. Headlights, L & R, Horn, Coil,etc.)each wire and Testing the wires first.

This will make the whole job much, much easier. Especially knowing "which is which" (marked!), and that it is a GOOD circuit BEFORE you start (end to end for each wire). Much less headaches afterward!

Our Old cars are actually Very simple with few circuits...so it's almost a "Piece of Cake" compared to anything Newer.

With GOOD grounds and tight, clean connections it should be a Fun job with no surprises!

Again, I hope this helps you. It has worked for me several times before.
Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile Brogham, 26 Locomobile JR-8 Sedan and 26 JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 410 Special Deluxe 4Dr.

Lance
I have the harness all marked as to what wire does what. It is a work of art. It has the loom on the wires and all the wires are individually marked. The guy that made it up for me is a perfectioist and a good friend so he went all out to do a great job.
My only concern is Knowing where I should start. Dont know if I should start from the dash and work both ways or wht . Guess you answered ny question tho--I will get the wiring going on the dash first--then feed thru the firewayy to headlights--taik kights--and engine components. Hope it all works out for me.
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 614 Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ok older than dirt .. told you to ask me. There are two fuse blocks, one for lighting circuit located on the back of the lighting switch and the other for the ignition, stop light, heat indicator, and gas gauge which is located on the right edge of the left instrument board brace. Both fuse blocks carries 20 amp cartidge fuse. Those glass tube type with metal ends you can see the fuse wire.

Just follow the diagram I sent you and posted here previously.

I don't have a clue with Dorothy why she runs, as that block has no wire off one side. They had a heater wired though it and I removed the heater and all the hoses going everywhere. Still only has the two blocks under the dash ???? Perhaps I'll have a good look this spring and see what they did. Could be they went direct, no fuse.
Old Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm,
This "Single Fuse block" layout is pretty common on old cars and Trucks. This was even the norm Up to 1959 in Chevrolet Trucks. Hard to believe today but my 59 Chevy P-up only had one (little) fuse on the Light switch for the whole wiring harness...all other wires were direct.

The harnesses on these 55 to 59 Chevy trucks are dirt-simple too, readily available, and cheap with factory Diagrams.

They resemble our old cars in layout, and are a real-good, very quick way for anyone wanting to rewire their old car. They can be covered in "cloth" and easily hidden so no one knows. Advantage is "all parts brand new" cheaply, with extra circuits for Dual tail lights, Turn signals (option), Heater fan, etc. etc.

Lance C.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Locomobile JR-8 Brougham, 25 Loco JR-8 Sedan, 26 Loco JR-8 Roadster project, 30 Durant 610 Deluxe Sedan

Lance . that was word for word from the 1930 614 owners manual. And as I saw under Dots dash.

I suspect, as I said, they bypassed the fuse key to coil on Dot. She has a cig lighter as well, where the coil / key should be. Don't know where that's wire to. Key is where the cig lighter should be. Think whoever was a south paw as the ashtray is also left of stearing wheel. Lucky me I had a full ashtray of antique ashes ... ha ha

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Ken It sounds like you need to know how to start physically installing the harness, not specifically what wire goes where? Because I'm sure you have a wiring diagram. The place to start is on the driver's side og the firewall, which will be the largest lump of wires(you want to minimize having to pull big knots of wires through the holes in the firewall) Don't forget to have your rubber grommets threaded onto your wiring beforehand. The headlamp section goes down the side of the firewall then forwad along the left framerail, sends a wire up the steering column for the horn, sends a wire up to the generator, then through the frame to the LH headlamp/parking, across the back of the radiator support crossmember, through the frame, up the fender brace, through the hole in the fender(remember grommett) to the RH headlamp. If you need mre info for the rest let me know. Roscoe

Ross-
Finally got thru to someone who understands my kind of talk. That is exactly what I had to know. Now I can get started anyway. This harness is all hooked up with cards showing what fits the end of which wire . Even has a snall round card showing the ampmeter (both sides and the wires are tied in to it)
It is a real work of art and I cant praise the guy enough that made it for me. Every wire in marked saying what it is for.
Time to start putting it in now.
Thanks Ross.
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club