Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Champion C-4 spark plugs

Anybody have any Champion C-4 spark plugs in decent condition laying around? I need 5 of them. I believe the C-4 was original factory install for our cars or at least the 29 6 cylinders. What say ye all?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Champion C-4 spark plugs

Not sure about C4 and 28 / 29 but they are special order here and expensive at about $30 each.

C7 became D16, Autolight BT8, AC Delco C87 for 30 - 32 6 cyl and they have been replaced by NGK A6 and are available at any Canadian Tire Store right on the floor at $11 a pair. CTC # 18-3900. That threw me that they were common issue ,just help yourself.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 Sedan

Norm
You say they are special order? Where can you order them from?

Mike .. I believe Steve ordered them from Benson's for his 60 and said they were $30 each as compared to my plugs at $11 a pair at Canadian Tire.

Hi Mike.....

See my answer to John Sweeney about the W16Y plugs.

I have them in stock....

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 14 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

Mike is this them ? Got this from Randy after asking about C4's on your behalf. These are NOS.

I have 3 plugs marked "4 Com" for $12 each

randy@minakersautoparts.ca

Norm
I'll take a picture of one that I have this afternoon and post it.

I have rusty C7's out of the 32 so know what those look like and imagine the C4 is the same thing different number. Send the photo to Randy to see if it matches up. I told him I was sending his info on to a DMAC member. No telling what Randy has that fits cars 1920 and newer.
I know he books galore on any type of car and its parts. Guess those are carry overs from the Garage and Auto Wrecking Yard.

norm, randy has the durant registry magazines on ebay, i think.

Hi Gary not the same fellow, he's US, Randy is below Picton Ont. I would imagine they are shop manuals used by his grandfather in the auto repair garage. Since Randy is selling the amassed parts since 1925 he would still need the books for reference. I was asking about some part and he pulled a book out and looked up Durant. Can't recall what I was asking about.

I mentioned in Kens Forum about oil canisters he has as well. Fellow here is interested in some canisters for his 52 Plymouth and got a new front bumper and shocks for his 46 Dodge 2 ton from Randy. Also Tod is interested in canisters for Plymouth owners. www.ply33.com group 10 under parts. I pass on info to him as our cars do have some same parts. Our hood hinge and ends, oil canisters, tail lights, etc

Here's Randys email to me about plug and canisters.

Hi Norm, I have 3 plugs marked "4 Com" for $12 each and Chryco Oil filter #861 028 which is a canister filter
with 1/8" pipe thread in the top and bottom for $18.50 each or $15 each if buying 6 or more.
Thanks, Randy

For those interested to see if he has your parts here's the info. He might or might not have. He's got no inventory listing so has to go look and see. 3 buildings full of parts and two rows of old green buses. Good many are NOS. eg: light bulbs, rings, pistons, gaskets ,mufflers ,etc etc etc.

He sadly crushed 2000 cars 2006 and one was a 1931 614 sedan on its wheels with lights, rad, motor etc.

Use the 1st one randy@minakersautoparts.ca

Minaker Auto Parts Milford Ltd
Address : Milford, ON
Telephone : 613-476-4547
Email : randy@minakersautoparts.ca
Category : Automobile Wrecking, Garages Auto Repairing, Automobile Parts & Supplies Used & Rebuilt

Minaker's Auto Parts
(Milford) Ltd
Est.1925
3073 Cty Rd 10, Box 100
Milford, Ontario K0K 2P0
E Mail : minakersautoparts@hotmail.com
or parts@minakersautoparts.ca
Specializing in hard to get parts.
Ph: (613)476-4547

From Kingston - West on 401 to Exit 566 South. Highway #49 to Picton , South on County road #10 (Lake St ) To #3073.

We are open 9 to 5 through the week, 'till 4 on Sat.
and are closed at NOON Thursdays and all day Sunday

Norm
The Champion C-4 has the C-4 on the plug not 4 Com. I'll email Randy to see what he has. I just picked up two off of Ebay NOS and will need 3 more since I already have one. I contacted at guy who specializes in spark plugs for all kinds of motors and is a bit of a historian. He stated that the Durants & Stars came with the AC 78R and AC 78RT, but the Champion C-4 are also period correct.

Ah Mike .. ya made me look ha ha. Yes my C7 seems to be AC Type PR-10 as orig plug or G-9 for cooler but heavier plug, the chart says.

Go ahead and use Champion X the T's did

Sure give Randy a holler.

Just a few facts Champion C-7 is a 18mm spark plug
A C-4 is a 7/8" and tha Model T "X" has pipe thread as for the 4 com I would have to check my Champion book but it will either be pipe thread or 7/8" thread.
It is my understanding from the parts books that the C-4 was used up to 1929 and the C-7 was used from 1929 on.
The A-22 originally used a Splitdorf spark plug according to the factory parts book. Unsure of the Splitdorf part #, not mentioned in the book.
I am not sure about the 1928 & 1929 Durant's but the 1930 - 1933 Duarnt's and Frontenac's according to factory literature used Champion C-7's, at least here at Leaside. Mike I have had a few discussions with some spark plug collectors, while trying to locate Splitdorf plugs, they all tell me that AC is the OE supplier,however they get real quiet when I show them a factory parts book declaring Champion.
That being said I have found that the old take-apart plugs tend to work better than some of the modern plugs. I beleive that the modern plugs are'nt quiter the right heat range for our car's.
I'll get off my soap box now

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22

Will, that Champion X comment was with tongue in cheek of course. Yep pipe threads for sure.

Dot must have had C7's as I found a bunch in the pocket behind the driver. It had AC BT8 in the head when we brought her home. Now the CTC NGK A6's CTC #153624 in pairs on the floor for $10.99 .

My other notation was off an Jan 1935 AEA tune up chart for 1931 Canadian Continental 22A and 22A improved which says orig plug AC PR10 18mm etc. The 1930 owners manual says nothing about plug type ,however it does mention fuel pump, oil filter, air filter as AC Spark Plug Co. Perhaps AC US and Champion here ? To further muddy it up the 1935 parts catalogue from Leaside makes no mention of the plugs name. Just 65 cents each or 6 for $2.70 or 4 for $1.80. Unless surefire is a plug name.

Norm

Will
Thanks for the information. I had contacted several spark plug collectors to find out when the Champion C-4 was made but none have responded yet. I know that according to one person who sells old plugs the Durant's had the AC 78r and AC 78rt in them, but I like the Champion and want to obtain a full set of them for show. I'll probably get another plug from Frank W for day to day driving. I know one of the early Durant tune up guides mention the C-4 number as the plug to use.

I saw you were looking for some Champion C-4 Spark plugs. I have a set of 4 new old stock C-4s. I was going to put them in my Model A Ford, but wasn't sure if they were the right plug. I saw your post and wondered if you are still looking for some.

Todd
408-230-5755 cell

Where Are You From? Arlington, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

I have a case of 10 brand new Champion c-4 7/8 inch 11/8" hex. Willing to sell for the right offer

Where Are You From? Pa

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Look on EBAY type in Champion C4 and alot come up

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

I have 7 new in the original boxes for sale.

Where Are You From? Charlotte, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

The Durant Motors Automobile Club