Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wiring harness - A-22 vs Star Model C

The rep at Rhode Island Wire is telling me that the listing for a wire harness in his catalog for a 1923 Durant A-22 will work on my 1923 Star Model C Touring Car. Can anyone verify this info?

If they do not fit, has anyone else had a wire harness made for a Star Touring and where did you have it made?

Thanks,
Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1923 Star Touring

Re: Wiring harness - A-22 vs Star Model C

Tony,

I don't know about the '23 Star but the original A-22 wiring harness was in a metal flex conduit with at least one or two metal junction boxes...Rode Island gave me a rather high price quote on my A-22 after I sent them my old harness for pattern, so I found that Egge Machine had a reasonably priced harness on their shelf, however it had a spun cloth cover rather than flex conduit but was well made...On the '17 Overland that I am finishing the restoration on I made up the wiring harness myself, I found the flex conduit at McMaster-Carr and the cloth covered wire on both ebay and at Restoration Supply... Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Touring

Tony
The parts and service directory that Frank W. put together lists another company which is YnZ's Yesterdays Parts which is in Redlands, California, telephone number 909-798-1498 with a web site of www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com also a company in Australia named Vintage Wiring Harness. You might also go to your Books a Million or Barnes & Knoble and get the latest issue of Hemmings Motor News. There are probably several companies in there that manufacture wireing harnesses for you. You might email Ed Vomero and ask him where he got his for his Star that he just restored. You can get his email from one of his postings on this forum.

I sent my original harness to Harness's Unlimited in Meeting PA and they reproduced it exactly. That was a long time ago, but they still advertise in Hemmings Motor News. Good Luck, Ed

Where Are You From? www.bellinghamautosales.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1924 Star

Re: Re: Wiring harness - A-22 vs Star Model C

Thanks for the replies and recomendations, I talked to YnZ's and they were very nice but have never made one for a 23 Star and would need my old harness to go by. Same with RI wiring. However, my current wiring is not complete and has been jury rigged just enough to get it running. No horn wires, no headlight wires, no rear lighting etc...

Was hoping that the A-22 of the same year was close enough to get it all working again and still look good.

Tony

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring

Tony
I had my harness made from the diagram in the tech section . I had nothing to start from . A friend here made it for me and it is great. Still have to put it in but it looks good and has a few added touches -(like turm signals and an extra tail light). Cost me $300.00 Canadian . I dont think he would make another for anyone but will ask him next time I see him. He used the woven loom and the braided covered wires as well . Very proffesional job .
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model614 -Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Tony, I just spent my Sunday taking the original wiring harness out of my 1923 Star Coupe. It is mostly complete and will serve as a pattern for having a new harness constructed. I have been in contact with RI-wire but have not yet selected which manufacture to order a replacement from. Maybe we can do a two for special.

Doug

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star

Hi Tony. I have about 30 4 cyl motors and several chassis. I have never seen a metal covering over the wireing. thay all seem to be of the woven type, on Star cars. I had a new wiring harness made at harness unlimited in PA 1(610)789-3998. The cost about 150.00. Thay did a good job and did it in about two weeks .

Bert:

The A 22 Durant's had a metal loom. I don't know if they continued this right up to 1926 or not. The 28 - 29 Durant's had cloth covered loom.
I know we have the original loom in the 1923 A 22 and it is metal covered.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

The Durant Motors Automobile Club