Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A22 engine runs

I won this engine on Ebay that was listed as a chevy engine. The basic engine was in good condition so worked on it and got it running. For more information and pictures go to the smokstak location below.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49746

I plan on selling it, so anyone in Durant land that would be interested in it plese contact me.
Pierce

Do You own a car built by Durant? A22 Durant engine

Re: A22 engine runs

Durant made the A-22 engine from 1921-26...I have just learned that at some point after 1923 that an additional headbolt was added to the center of the head giving the head 9 headbolts rather than 8...Looks like your engine has that extra headbolt between the two center valves so would be later than a 1923 engine, however anyone needing an engine I am sure it would be just fine.

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Bill
The numbers 4-22-24 are on the head which is probably the manufacture date. Also "A22A 605B" is on the head which may the serial number. Thanks for your information
Pierce

Do You own a car built by Durant? A22 Durant engine

Was in a 36 parts catalog, looking for a truck engine in the Continental engine section, and I accidentally find, in the piston assembly section "...Special 4 for Durant A22...", and no number/letter designation was listed. So it appears that engine wasn't used in any other production model, assuming the catalog information is correct

Yes, The Durant A-22 engine is unique to the A-22 Durant car...In the 1923 A-22 Instruction Manual under Motor Type, is says "The motor used in the DURANT car is our own design, a verticle 4-cylinder, 4-cycle,water-cooled Valve-in-Head type, of medium long stroke, producing a combination of efficient, flexible and even power at all speeds"....However,I am sure that much of the design of the A-22 engine may have came from Durants racing team while at GM, the Chevrolet Brothers with there Valve in head engine...Continental manufactured the engine, I believe in their Muncy plant...I am wondering if this was the only Overhead engine that Continental manufactured? Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Bill: I'm in the process of making up some engine lists for my own use, and so far I only know of one production Continental OHV: FO226 in the Ag/Ind version, FO6226 in the truck version and PFO226 in the Power Unit version. A 94 Clevite catalog doesn't list them, but does list a CF6226 and a CFO6226; I have no idea what the "C" designates.
The only other "O" I've run across is something listed as OS202 (6cyl, 31/8x43/8, if my math is correct) with a companion PU PD202, but if it was an OHV it seems the PU should be PO202 or PDO202
However, my interests are the older engines, and my sources (parts catalogs) are about as far from complete as you can get, and mostly from the 60's back. (I got tired of reading "Hug 41C 1930 DW6 Mtr" and wondering "who in h--- made a DW6"??).

Weren't the A-22 and B-22 engines built by Ansted?

Dave

I always understood that Continental built the A 22 and that Ansted built the B 22 They are very much different motors.
The only place the word "Continental" is on the A 22 is on the Rocker arms. I have not found any other markings.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

BILL: Sheesh! Remembered I had a Thompson with some engine pix, and sure 'nuff there were the Cont R's, which I should've remembered as being OHV: R6513, 6572 and 6602. There's also a page on Cont diesels KD6330, TD6427 and RD6572, with a pic of an engine that looks like OHV but isn't ID'd. I wouldn't doubt there being more OHV's.
DAVE & GORDON: Finally thought to look at Durant in that catalog (1936 King Products), and it shows:
A22 1921-25 Cont Spec 4 4cyl;
B22 1922-23 Ansted C 6cyl.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club