Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sister cars?

I was looking at pictures of a 1928 Whippet. It looks so much like my 29 Durant, that they could have come from the same factory? Does anyone know if they have common parts? Looks like maybe just the radiator shell, headlight buckets and bumpers are different. (Not to mention the driveline.) In other words, was there a "catalog" of parts, bodies and fenders, that several different car companies bought from, and just made small individual variations. Such as Hayes body? Did one company stamp out fenders for a large market of independents? Did Durant or Whippet even have a stamping plant or a machine shop?

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Sister cars?

I'm sure that Willys~Overland and Durant shopped at some of the same places for the same parts. For example the 1927 Willy Collegent Roadster used the same wire wheels as my 29 Durant Deluxe Roadster.
In fact I purchased a spare set from a Willys owner. While I can't remember which one it was, I'm sure that of the bumpers on that 27 Willys was the same as on my 29 Durant. I recall that while they where not exactly the same, both of the instrument panels where very similar in styling.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Deluxe Model 60 Sport Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club