Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Removing Steering Wheel

The model 28 I have has a wooden steering wheel with wooden spokes. I've remove the horn button mechanism and cannot figure out how to get the steering wheel off. Looks like the spark advance and throttle levers are held on by the center with a rivet type pin. I thought of a steering wheel puller, but I'm afraid it will break the wooden spokes. What has everyone else used and is there a trick to this?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

Re: Removing Steering Wheel

Here's some pictures of the steering wheel I'm talking about. Since the spokes and wheel are wood I do not want to break them. Any suggestions on the removal. It seems that the Spark and throttle lever is fixed to rods down the steering wheel shaft to the bottom of the assembly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Welp,
Mike, It appears in the photos that you still need to remove the nut that holds the wheel, Anyway, you can make a puller that should work sufficantly by burning or machining a heavy plate into a horseshoe to just clear the column below the hub, then drill and tap two 3/8" holes in the horseshoe to clear between two oppoite spokes, then you will need to either build or use an existing strongback from a conventinal puller set having opposite bolt slots... Place the horseshoe under the hub, adapt an approperate spacer on the steering shaft as not to damage the threads and the strongback on top of the spacer, install the 3/8" bolts, ect, ect. anyway, you should get the picture...This is how I pulled my wood spoked wheel on my A-22...Good luck, Bill

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring

Mike,
To remove the spark and throttle control, remove the two levers on the bottom of the control rods and slide the control rods up and out of the steering shaft. This will expose the steering wheel nut. If you don't have enough room to remove the control rods you will have to unfasten the column clamp at the dashboard and drop the steering shaft down a bit.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M Coupe

Thanks Bill & Don, you saved the hair on top of my head from scratching it trying to think how I was going to get it off without damaging the wood. I'll try it and keep you all posted.

Well I got around to working on the steering wheel removal today and Don you were right. I removed the bottom spark and throttle pieces at the bottom of the steering column and then the spark and throttle lever rods with the two levers attached just slipped right out the top. I then had to remove the big nut and the screws on the wheel to take it off. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Great!! But, I forgot to mention that you should note the position of the bottom levers in relation to their top levers for reassembly. If not, no big deal, just a bit of trial and readjust to get the controls aligned.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star M CoupeGreat! But, I forgot to mention that you should note the position of the bottom levers

This is where your digital camera comes in handy. Take plenty of pictures. Much better than your rememberer. At least my rememberer is more like a forgetterer.

Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac 1932

The Durant Motors Automobile Club