Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Restoration sites.

I am working on my 1928 D65 and am trying to do as much as I can for Job satisfaction. Anybody can sign a check. However thank God there are those who can as they are the people who sent the standards for one of the greatest hobbies know to Man.Whew got awy with that one as the wife wasn't looking. What i really would like is does anybody know of website that would know such things as how to restore cars such as ours.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D65

Re: Restoration sites.

Lawrence
If I were living where you are I would try the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskewin. I know they have a lot of papers on different cars and just maybe have info on your specific model. Give them a try and let me know how things come out
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Lawrence
Most of the restoration process can be done by yourself by just taking time and thinking it through. You can always do as much or as little as you like, and send out things you can't handle. If you have a small garage, then the body, fenders etc can be sent out to be cleaned/blasted or painted but you can save yourself lots of money if you prepare the parts first. Remove door handles, window glass, trim etc. There is an excellent video series on restoring a car, you might check it out. It's located at: http://carestoration.com/
Also check your area for any antique auto club and ask around about other restoration projects. You probably have several people in your area that are restoring cars also, that can be very helpful.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Model 65 4dr

I have contacted the Reynold Museum and will be visiting there in the near future. They have a library open to the public with lots of info. I should be well on my way.
Thx a lot.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D65

You should look for as many issues of "Skinned Knuckles" as you can find. Don't know if they are still in business.

Lawrence
I reviewed a very helpful book in the December 2003 issue of The Durant Partner, volume 5, issue 4, titled “Restorers Classic Car Shop Manual” by Jim Schild. Although written to address the restoration ins and outs of “full classics”, the author states: “almost all of the information in the book is directly applicable to any 1925-48 collector car” and indeed addresses most of the issues concerning our Durant Star cars. Chapters cover the topics of front and rear axels, frame, body and fender, wheels hubs and brakes, clutch and transmission, cooling, fuel and electrical systems, engine assembly and installation, interior trim and soft tops for open and closed cars.
The advantage of a book, of course, is that you can pick it up at any time, peruse for 5 minutes or an hour, go back and review any chapter or data at any time. This book will help you to plan / coordinate your projects. ISBN 0-9624958-4-0. I found several for sale (used) today on Amazon.com for under eight dollars, plus shipping. I hope this helps.
Happy New Year.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant 6-60 R/S Coupe

Thanks, Tony, for the Schild book referral - just ordered one from Amazon.com
Looking forward to the guidance - I need it.
Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club