Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is it and is it worth anything

Hi, I recently bought a pile of stuff at an auction - in a box of old car stuff I found a different looking radiator cap. It says Boyce on one side and has a little STAR logo on the other side. It has a glass tube inside that I am affraid is loose inside the housing. It looks to have been held in place by a pin on one sid and a latch of some sort on the other side. There is stil an old ring gasket stuck to it and is really quite ornate for a radiator cap - to me any way. I didn't even know they built a car named Star.It also hasbeveled glass on both sides of it. Any help -year made -fits what etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance - Art

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: What is it and is it worth anything

It sounds like you have a Boyce Motormeter. The glass tube was a thermometer. Sitting on top of the radiator, it warned of an overheating condition. There should be a small hole in the piece with the Star on it that allows it to be viewed by the driver. When the red line could be seen by the driven, it was time to get worried. If it kept moving up, it was time to stop.

These are being reproduced so its value is limited. Someone would be interested in the Star emblem as I don't think they are being reporduced.

If you've got the threaded cap it was attached to, I'd be interested. (The motormeter fits many cars, the cap however, would be specific to years and models.)

Also, some of the small parts in the box may have come from a Star. These may be in demand.

Other areas of this site should give you more info about the Star.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club