Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1928 radiator & gas caps

Hello, this is my first post to this forum so I hope I don't violate any protocols. I am the manager of the Texas Transportation Museum in San Antonio which delights in owning a 1928 Durant Star Coupe which I believe is more correctly referred to as an M2.

Thanks to some good work by a couple of our our volunteers including me, I am thrilled to report that it is running again for the first time since 1998, when I personally drove it in San Antonio's largest parade, called the Battle of Flowers. For many pictures of the car, you can visit our web site's page at:

http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/Auto.htm

Anyhoo, I have the pleasure of some correspondence with Richard Botti over the years and appreciate his enthusiastic asistance with a couple of items. He recommended I try asking for some help on this forum to find either a correct gas and radiator cap for the car or at least suggestions of where to find good alternatives that fit.

The car has lacked a radiator cap since the day it arrived at the museum. It had a poorly fitting Ford engine temperature gauge thing which always fell off anyway. We did have the correct cap until recently. It "disappeared" around the time we took off the gas tank to get it professionally cleaned. Either it was lost or stolen and either way needs to be replaced.

If anybody out there in Durant land has some or knows where I might find them or what I might use until the right ones are located, I's sure appreciate it.

In the mean time, I am having a high old time driving the car. Right now the brakes are more of a suggestion than a command but, once that's fixed, I look forward to driving it on the road again. Hey, that sounds like a cue for the Willie Nelson song, so I'd better quite before I get too Texas for y'all.

Where Are You From? www.txtransportationmuseum.org/Auto.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: 1928 radiator & gas caps

Hello Hugh!
I'm up here in Texarkana and hope to get down to ya'll's Museum for a visit in the near future. I've been piddlin' with Star Cars for the past 20 years or so and may be able to help out some.
A group of us created an antique auto museum in 2004 and is the first in Texarkana. (www.texarkaam.org) We are steadily growing and creaking at the seams for space.
Welcome to the BEST Star/Durant site in the world with a fantastic group of people and information.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

I sure look forward to meeting you. I hope you won't mind taking me for a spin in the Durant.

Hugh, I too need a radiator cap for a 28 Durant 2 door sedan 4cyl. I have rebuilt the engine and clutch, runs fine but it came to me without the rad. cap. You asked for a cap first but if there are 2 caps out there I could buy one also. I am also in need of the rubber balls to rebuild a u jiont, I see in the tech page the how to rebuild article and says they are available at the club office, now I just need to find the club office. Thanks for any help.
Gale Crenshaw

Do You own a car built by Durant? working on 2 for my neighbor

Gale,

You can purchase the rubber balls from
Frank Witkowski
witfrank@bellatlantic.net

Rick

Where Are You From? www.txtransportationmuseum.org/DURANT2007.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Rick
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll write to Frank this morning.
Gale

Do You own a car built by Durant? working on 2 for my neighbor

The Durant Motors Automobile Club