Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Having trouble getting rear wheels on ?

Hi Everyone,I can't seem to get my rear wheels to go completely on, either side. The brake drums are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the back of plate area. It seems to stop on the axle before reaching through to the seal and to the bearing, make any sense ? I either have to drill out the center hole in the wheel more or the back of the shaft needs sized down a bit. Help!. Thanks Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 M2 Sedan

Re: Having trouble getting rear wheels on ?

Hi Dave.....

Are these the original axles and hubs, or from different cars?

Since these are a tapered fit you can't just enlarge the hole in the hub. These wear over time and usually you have the opposite problem, they fit too far onto the axle and rub the back plate.

Couple things come to mind, Are the brake shoes hanging up, and keeping the drum from going all the way on. This can happen with new linning that was not fitted to the drum. Are the shoes adjusted too far out?

What about the axle key, does it have a burr on it keeping the wheel from going on all the way?

Over the years as these wore, a shim was used on the axle to make up for the wear, it would move the hubs out to keep them from rubbing the back plate, and tighten up a loose fit.

Hope this helps......See Y'all in Auburn...Frank

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

I've been messing with them for 3 days, dont know if they are original or not and can't remember if they were like that when I got the car. Took drum off wheel, goes on great,everything except that center piece, it just wont go back far enough. Last thing is to have taper hollowed out more?

Dave, Whatever you do,, don't mess with the taper!!!
Now,,,,, work in reverse order. What repairs did you do after you first removed the wheel? OK, check those items for fit and clearance.
Another option is to remove the brakes from the backing plate and install the wheel without the axle key. Check the grease seal to see it is not blocking the wheel hub from seating on the axle taper. If OK then install the inner brake and reinstall the wheel and see what happens. If OK, install the outer brake and reinstall the wheel. Go one step at a time, checking for fit each time.
When all fits properly install the axle key, nut, and cotter.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Thanks, did all the above, it's definetly the taper, hub lacks 1/4-3/8" from going to where it needs to.Thanks for trying. Dave

Dave,
There were two tapers used on Durant/Star cars. One taper size is used with the one piece housing rear end and a different taper used with the two piece housing rear ends. These must use the correct wheel hub for the two rear end designs.
Do you know the history of the wheels you are trying to use as compared to the car you are installing them on?

Hi Don, just trying to use what came on the car. I looked closer and you can see inside the drum, that it never went on all the way like it should have. Someone may have switch things over the last 78 years, no way of finding out at this point. Maybe take axle and hub to machine shop and have them fit it correctly? Thanks again Dave

Dave,
1-what model car do you have?
2-do you have the two piece rear axle housing?
3-what type and size wheels do you have?

All Star wheel hubs for the one piece axle housing were the same and all wheel hubs for the two piece housing were the same. I have many wheel hubs and may be able to help you.

1929 Durant M2 sedan, 2 piece, wood spoke 19". Dave

The rear wheel hub #21148 used with the split axle housing is the same on all Star models C, CC, F, M, and R from 1922-1928 and including M2, M4, 40, 55, and 60, and is used on all spoke wheel sizes.

The small taper hole dia is approx 13/16" (parts book says .807), the large hole is approx 1 3/32", and the taper length is 3 7/16".

How does this compare to your wheel hubs?

Yes, that is correct.

Mercy! I just can't imagine the tapers being incorrect. Let's try some oddball approaches.
How far does the axle extend from the housing!
I'll go back to the shop and measure one of mine.

Ok,,, I measured both rear ends for our '27 projects and the axles extend past the adjusting ring 4".

Now, back to the wheel hubs for a moment.
The spoke width should be 1 1/4" allowing the hub to protrude past the inside of the brake drum 5/8".

I hope we come up with an inconsistency pretty soon because this troubleshooting is getting harder than trying to figure out where the Dusenberg is headed!

I will get back to you on measurements, tried putting on wheels with no brake shoes, fits perfect. Have sanded down shoes to almost nothing, still bind and drums wont go back.

Don, thank you for all your help, I had a friend stop by tonight, we went over and over the problem. There is a ECCENTRIC ADJ. BOLT that was the problem, I was looking and explaining maybe the wrong area and problem. We loosened the bolt, which aloud the brakes to shift, and on the wheel went. We drank a cold beer. The bolt is ob-long shape, which allows adjustment for the almost stationary shoe. I hope this makes sense. If not, call me 301-252-1385. Thanks Again, I feel like a dummy, but sometimes you need someone that's not looking at it everyday.

Outstanding!!! Just goes to show that when a problem occurs, I always try to observe the KISS principal: KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! (Note: No Slur Intended on Yourself) and I sometimes stray from this practice myself.
Good work and I hope you didn't induce too much premature wear on sanding your brake linings down.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club