Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
framing paterns

Are there any paterns available to cut the wood needed to frame the body of my 29 durant 6-63?

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1929 4 door model 6-63

Re: framing paterns

Well, I guess that is a no! 60 people viewed this message and not one comment. I guess I'm on my own when it comes to replacing the wood in the Durant.
Wish me luck.

Good Luck Brian!!
As far as I know, there are NO prints available on Durant cars woodwork. I'm presently building a pair of '27 Stars and have had to guess, surmise, shim n trim, look at pictures and use what original pieces for patterns that I could scrounge up.
It's a lot of fun but a lot of work also. Just a big puzzle. Presently, I have the entire coupe body built using Pine wood. This will be my blueprint and patterns for the finish wood.
It also shows me where to pay close attention to joinery fits and tolerances.
So,,,, my advice is: Take lots of pics, measurements, and trial pieces. Don't get in a hurry, don't set a deadline, and DON'T hesitate to remake a piece if it doesn't fit properly. A small mistake at one end will progress into a large mistake at the other!

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Hi Brian.....

Don is correct, I've never seen any patterns for our cars. Depending on what you have remaining you may be able to make patterns.

If you have very little left, you may want to look at another 63 for measurements etc. I have a 63 four door sedan. I picked it up from Gary Kauffman, it still shows in the photographs section under Gary's name. there is little or no interior in it. You are more than welcome to come down to Pennsylvania and take measurements, patterns or pictures if you need to. A good book that has a lot of general info on wood bodies is the Fisher body Manual, it is usually on ebay, reprinted by Crank'n Hope Publications.

Follow Don's advice, take your time, but have fun while doing it.....Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Stars and a Durant-Dort buggy

Thanks guys, that is what I thought but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I may take the trip to Pensylvania and look at your car if I get a chance. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Hopefully I come up with some answers too....

The Durant Motors Automobile Club