Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
transmission removal

If anyone is experienced with tranny removal from a Durant without lots of removals, I'd like to talk to them. Couldn't find anything by seaching the forum and I do not have a mechanics manual. I have a '31 619 with the 22A Continental engine and 3 speed. I want to switch out mine before Auburn. I have never had the car that far apart before so am studying it from below. Had hoped that it was an easy bolt up job. It appears that it may be easiest to remove floorboards, but looking at my new transm, once unbolted, the transm must be pulled rearward to clear the clutch and housing. But it appers that the lower transm will contact the frame crossmember too soon. Maybe not. Any experience? It may be like a 614 or others.

Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: transmission removal

Wayne.
Remove the top off the transmission of course your driveline and the brake cross shaft and then remove the front and rear motor mount bolts and jack the front of the engine up some and remove the 4 transmission bolts and wiggle it out. Also put a good amount of 30 weight engine oil inside the throw out bearing and put axle grease on the input shaft end before reinstalling your transmission.
Good luck. Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.lancedurant.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes many

The Durant Motors Automobile Club