Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's Wrong With This Picture?

In the days when interchangeable parts were commonplace, components of our cars could be assembled more than one way. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. In the picture below is one occasion where this was done.
What’s wrong with this picture?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Re: What's Wrong With This Picture?

It appears that the tie rod is in a most unusual position. But if you think thats bad you should have seen the Jerry Rig job on my '55 Packard suspension. It was a nightmare!
KN

looks to me to be an axle that was used for a trailer and had the front all welded solid so as not to pivot.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

If I'm seeing it right, the dit on the steering arm that's supposed to keep the spindle from turning too far is pointed outwards instead of inwards.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Looks like the spindle is switched right to left?

cdmn and ross are both correct!
The steering arms have been switched right to left. They are attached only by a taper so are interchangeable. The little pin should be pointing upright instead of down to limit wheel turn. These arms should have the tie rod installed prior to tightening them on their taper to maintain proper alignment.

This is just one example of an assembly that would create an odd operating characteristic and a detail that would be easy to overlook.

Now, I wonder how many Star owners will ease out and check their own cars, just out of curiosity ??

I think cdmn was partly right. Since most of our cars of this era have the tie rod behind the front axle, this axle was either set up with the tie rod in front or it is a right hand drive model since there is no way to connect the drag link from the pitman arm as shown. As cdmn suggested, the stop tab on the steering arm is on the outside (either wrong side or upside down - even if it is a right hand drive). I'm guessing someone put it all together from a pile of parts and didn't have anything to go by. Close?

All should know I didn't see Don's response before I sent mine - we clicked "send" the same minute. Apparently you cannot install the steering arms upside down, so it would have to be on the wrong side.
Wayne

Right Wayne,
This axel is from an early '27 with a solid mount engine. On all Star cars the tie rod is mounted behind the axel. On right hand drive cars the tie rod is simply installed reversed to position the tie rod steering ball on the right side.
The later '27's, with rubber engine mounts, uses different spindles with a different steering arm (the later steering arm has a larger taper bore and a half moon key and has an additional steering arm to accommodate the side mounted steering box and drag link.

Correction,,,,,, the early '27 tie rod has the steering ball on the left for right hand drive cars, and on the right for left hand drive cars,,,,

I have just returned from a 4 day tractor and antique engine show, unloading the camper, and am somewhat bushed!
However, I'm glad that show is over so I can get back playing with my Stars.
I'll have some info shortly on leaf spring assembly, bushings, and where to get proper shackle bolts.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club