Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My '27 Coupe needs help!

Hi all,
The other day, as I was coming back home from a Model A club meet, My Star coupe was running fine, then all of a sudden it just came to a halt. Kind if like a brake locked up.....or maybe rear end? maybe transmission? I put it in reverse & drove it backwards for a bit, it would stop again, then I would drive it forward a few feet & it would lock up again. Anyone have any idea what the problem is before I tear everything apart from rear axle to the engine??? Thanks for any advice

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.....a Durant STAR that I got from David Haggland via a trade

Re: My '27 Coupe needs help!

Andrew, did the engine stops running?
If it did I'd suspect an overheated coil. Symptoms are engine stalls after heating up, then after starts again for a few minutes after coil gets hot.

If the car felt like the brakes were applied check the brake arms, rods and linkages. They work just like a Model A.

Where Are You From? obits.nj.com/StarLedger/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=91092826

Thanks for the reply Rick. So far, no overheating problems with the engine......just smokes a bit when it idles for a while.
I removed the right rear wheel & noticed that everything was VERY DRY and THICK with dust. Then I checked the differential& it's taken over half a quart of 600 W gear oil, so I suspect everything else needs cleaning and lubeing. How do I remove any of the zirque fittings or can I buy a new tip for my grease gun that'll work on existing?
I'll keep ya posted!
reguards, Andrew

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.....a Durant STAR that I got from David Haggland via a trade

You can purchase a tip/adpator for those fittings as well as new one fittings from:

Restoration Supply Company
15182-B Highland Valley Rd.
Escondido, CA 92025

Order Desk (800) 306-7008
Other Inquiries (760) 741-4014
info@restorationstuff.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Deluxe Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club