Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is the ID#/VIN anywherre else other than the ID tag under the hood?

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone klnows if the VIN/ID number is anywhere else on the car other than on the ID tag under the hood. My 1926 star was passed down to me from my uncle, who got it from his uncle, who bought it new in 1926. The car was recieved by my uncle when his uncle passed away, and it had been undrivable for a while. The car sat in a field for many years, and the ID tag was ripped off at some point in time along with the rear portion of the touring car that I assume someone used to make a T-bucket or something, and the paperwork for the car was not found after his death. So, I am hoping the numbers are somewhere else, or maybe if there is a listing of motor numbers in relation to body numbers? Any help would be great.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

Re: Is the ID#/VIN anywherre else other than the ID tag under the hood?

member frank witkowski sells reproduced vin tags and we have a list of star serial numbers for each year...do you have an engine serial no. to i.d. the year maybe.....that would be a start...and the grille shape would help...does it have notches or concave upper corners?....do you have a picture we can see.?
regards, gary k

p.s. also maybe your state can send a duplicate titile from your uncle's name if you tell them it is a 1920's star car you are searching for....under his name

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and 63 sedan and a 1930 6-14 standard sedan

Ryan, The firewall data plate is the only source for your cars serial number. You will need to identify your car series by parts identification. I am currently building two Star "M" series, an early '27 and a late '27. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between a '26 and an early '27. After identifying the year model you will have to know the serial number range for the year of your car and purchase a used data plate in that range to use on your car or purchase a reproduction plate from Frank and reuse the original numbers.
Also, there is no known reference to identify engine numbers with car numbers for dating.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star Touring, 1927 Star Coupe

Here are a couple pics of the car. Not sure how to make them show up on the posting, so I hope this works. I have seen the repro ID tags, but was hoping there was somewhere else on the car to tell me what the ID# was so I could just remake the tag.
http://members.cox.net/rtaylor29/star%20grill.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rtaylor29/star%20car.JPG
http://members.cox.net/rtaylor29/star%20dash.JPG

You have a 1926 to early '27 "M" Touring. I think I can make out an outside door handle on the right front door, if so I think you have a Sport Touring model.

yes it does have door handles on it. I am trying to see what I can find out about uncle wesley and when it was last registered, and if the records are available from back then so I can get the VIN. Anybody know where I can find parts for it?

Parts are fairly common for the "M" models except body parts. The rear tubs may be different between the regular touring and sport models. They ARE different on the earlier "F" models and use different rear fenders.
If you haven't already, you might consider joining our group and receiving the club magazine. It has a good listing of cars, parts, and services.

Don

hi ryan
my 26 star has the serial # burnt into the floorboards,facing up drivers side just in front of the seat,very faint after all these years but still noticable. as far as i know no others have this done,the car was owned by someone in the military at onetime.maybe it was prctice to doe this,i don,t know.
brian boys
i have fender lots of parts for your car if you need.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star 27star

Brian boys, do you have a picture of where the burned in VIN is on your star? I would like to know if I am looking in the right place. Again, thanks to all who have responded so quickly. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Ryan

hi ryan
if you were to drop a plum line from the lower edge of your steering wheel rim the # is burnt in the floorboard right in front of the seat frame.the car is in storage in the toronto area so i cant get you a pic.
i have a complete set of fenders ,and newly nickle plated bumpers,rad shell for 6cyl.for your car.
brian

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 27 star

Hi All.......

Only one of my Star's (a 2 dr sedan, coach) have a number stamped into the wooden body sill in the drivers side door opening. I don't think it is the same as the serial number , but is a body production number. This is a Hayes body.

I have not found these numbers on any of my other Star or Durant cars. These numbers were common on some of the GM cas of the era. I have a 1927 Buick that has a body production number stamped into a lot of the wood, even on the wooden seat spring bases. (Must be a "numbers matching car !!!)

Would be interesting to see if anyone else has found these numbers.

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? A dozen Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort buggy

oh well, I guess I would never find it anyway because the piece of wood directly under the lower edge of the steering wheel is no longer there, and the one in front of it looks to be a replacement piece also.
Thanks,
Ryan

My 29 M4 has the body number stamped into the wooden floor alongside the driver's seat. As I recall, in fairly large numerals, but nicely lined up as though they were put in by machine, all at once. It was built in the Elizabeth plant.

i probably should have said stamped instead of burnt,but like yours the letters are large and in nice order it probably is a body # as you stated.
brian boys

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 27 star

Once again I am still out of luck because the wood next to the drivers door is gone also. I guess Now is the time to give up finding this number, and start looking for an ID tag from a different 1926 model M touring car. Anyone have one?

The Durant Motors Automobile Club