Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas Tank repair

My gas tank is rusted through in the lowest spots where water laid for a period of time.. Is there a good method to repair these things or do I get a new tank built? Or maybe someone has a tank to sell that is in good shape. The previous owner soldered it but made a real mess of it so I took all the old solder off . Guess I could resolder but I would rather not. Any advice?
Thanks
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant--deluxe rumble seat coupe--model 614

Re: Gas Tank repair

Ken:
A good sheet metal man can cut out the rusted part and weld in a new bottom. We had a new tank made for our 22 Durant. Probably the easiest way to go, and then you have a new tank.
Gord

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac

Ken...
check with hot rod company called "TANKS"
i believe i reaD THAT THEY HAVE MADE A DURANT TANK FOR SOMEONE AND MAY HAVE A PATTERN..
tele...320-558-6882
www.tanksinc.com..

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and 63 sedan and a 1930 6-14 standard sedan

Gord
Only problem there --My tank is a round cylinder
it dont have a bottom --I had thought of having a whole tank made and weld the ends back in but dont know if this would be the best way . Just checking around for ideas.
thanks for yours --
KEN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant--deluxe rumble seat coupe--model 614

Gary
I find they have a dealer here in Edmonton.That is about 8 hrs away but I can call them tomorrow and see what they can come up with . Thanks for the info
Ken

Ken I had a great sheet metal guy make a new tank. I unsoldered the gas tank flange and the filler neck. Sandblasted the cr*p off of those,then he made a new cylinder(High school shop class type work) and two end caps(note,not with the nice convex profile), and solder everything together.Then solder on the flange and filler neck, and a new drain plug and outlet line. Note: the outlet line has an internal line that runs to the bottom of the tank(for obvious reasons), that must be soldered onto the bottom of the tank before the end cap is attached.Have it powdercoated so you will be done with paint 'issues', then use gas tank sealer before you install to seal the inside of this tank that will probably not get too much use, and needs help to maintain itself! Fuel is so caustic these days and may get worse? in the future.

just a thought...an experienced rod building general mechanic friend warned me away from tank sealers...anybody have some input?,,,,gary k

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and 63 sedan and a 1930 6-14 standard sedan

I used a sealer from POR good for all types of gas or diesel. I think you just need to be careful to get a good one compatable with ethanol.Glenn

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star

Thanks guys
Good idea about the colledge classes. Maybe they would be glad for a chance to work on their skills . I will check them out tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. This is a good club to be a member of .
Ken

Hi every one. I had to pay $400.00 apiece to have two of those round 30 Durant gas tanks made here in San Diego at a big sheet metal company. They were able to reuse the filler spout and the gas gauge post. They did a good job. They used a special metal that is factory treated and sealed. Looked almost like a smooth galvanizing. Both tanks are performing great after a couple years. BTW I have had nothing but plugged up gas filters for years after having a gas tank in my 29 Durant sealed by a radiator shop. It took about a year before it started dissolving and causing trouble. It took a couple years of plugged filters course I drive it a lot. Never again for that stuff. Lance Haynes

Where Are You From? www.hireoldcars.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch of them

About seven years ago I was faced with the same problem. Though the internet I found a company in northern California, Stockton I believe, that would refurbish my tank, rebuilding part or all of it as needed and using a sealer to complete the tank. To say the least, it was very expensive or at least to my frugal mind. So I cleaned the tank, inside and out, of all the gunk and then cleaned the rust off the outside around the area I needed to patch as well as cleaned the inside as best I could with a solution of muriatic acid and water. I used JB Weld to patch the holes and then coated the inside with a tank sealer that claimed to bond with rusty steel. Seven years later the tank has not leaked and the sealer does not seem to have affected the engine. I'm sure there will be some who are horrified by this process but it worked and only cost me time and less than fifty bucks. Good luck.

Got such a good response to this question that I have to ask again --has anyone got a horn button and the inner parts of the horn ( on the steering wheel) that they would be willing to sell ?? I need one for my 30 614 deluxe coupe
Any leads would be appreciated
thanks guys
Ken

The Durant Motors Automobile Club