Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Additives: Good and Bad

What is the wisdom on additives to gasoline and oil? Have been adding Marvels Mystery Oil in gas. Have not used it in oil as non-detergent is indicated. Any other clues as to effective additives in the (26 Star) Continental 6 cyl? Thanks!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

Re: Additives: Good and Bad

Ron:
I know of no reason to add additives if you are using high quality oil. I do not even recommend using non-detergent oil. Detergent oil keeps the contaminates suspended in the oil not as the name implies cleans the engine. The only time I would not use detergent oil is for a high milage engine that is full of sludge, but then I would not run that engine as it is going to sieze eventually and then you are out of luck.
Have a nice day.
Jan

Oh my god! You've opened up a can of BIG automotive worms! I've been on all sorts of auto webforums and NEVER seen as much 'discussion' come up when the subject of oil comes up! Use vegetable and castor oil in all situations,for all applications! OR non-detergent (if you can find) in an old engine. Non-detergent then detergent in a recently rebuilt OLD engine. Or I use 50W valvoline Racing oil in my 22A everyday. (Check out some of ther old lube charts for some of their recommendations) My biggest question is WHY be cheap with this plaything that you use only on fun days? Change it every 1000 miles if you want! Ross

WAIT! I need to make up some popcorn before I hear the responses to the dreaded oil additive discussion!

Colleagues: My engine was obviously meticulously rebuilt during a superb frame off restoration. The manual for the Continental Six specifies "non detergent oil" and this engine does not seem to use any oil between changes -- and runs very well. 30 weight (non detergent) oil is easily obtainable from the Napa Auto Parts Chain. I was told that detergent oil promoted leakage. I do have some minor oil leaks -- but have accepted the philosophy that these fine old cars don't leak -- they just mark their territory. Maybe I don't have enough issues to worry about.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star "R" 2 door coach

HELLO RON,
I WAS A BIOLOGY TEACHER FOR 40 YEARS. I READ ALOT OF STUDIES ABOUT WOLVES. YOU NOTICED THAT YOUR CAR WAS MARKING IT'S TERRITORY....AND...HAVING NOTICED THAT "WOLF" BRAND OIL WAS A POPULAR BRAND IN THE OLD DAYS......I MUST RECOMMEND STRONGLY THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE THOSE TERRITORIAL LEAKINGS BY THE OLD CAR.....YOU GET YOURSELF OUT THERE AND PEE A LARGE CIRCLE AROUND THE GARAGE SO THAT THE OLD VEHICLE PROPERLY LEARNS WHAT YOUR "TERRITORY" IS AND WHO IS IN CHARGE IN THE RELATIONSHIP .....THAT YOU ARE THE "ALPHA MALE"......NOW ISN'T THAT SOME TRULY HELPFUL ADVICE?..

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 durant 70 coupe and 63 sedan and a 1930 6-14 standard sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club