Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water Pump D.40

Can any one help with suggestions on what type of packing to use in the stuffing box of my water pump.
The book says candle wickering with tallow or graphite grease. Have tried commercial 3mm Packing but still leaks even when idle. Have replaced shaft & nut. Your Help would be greatly appreciated
Regards
John Sweeney
P.s Trying to keep my Rugby as original as possible.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby d40 Wire Sided Van(pick up)

Re: Water Pump D.40

Hello John..... While at the National meet last year in Canada, I saw Franz Fraitzl's display of his high quality reproduction parts including distributers,throw out bearings and water pump rebuild kits. He also had some modern packing material that seemed to be the answer to everyones leakage problem! You can find him listed at the bottom of the tech pages under Vancouver Durant Parts or e-mail him at fxtechnical@telus.net. Hope this helps and good luck. Jim G.

FYI He is on out of town business trip for 2 months if you have trouble getting him, looking for the same thing. He finally responded after a while, wasn't specific when he would be back to do business.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Working on 29 Durant M-2

John:

Got good results with the same packing material used for gas valves of kitchens that I think have asbestus and graphite and comes in threads, plus graphite grease. I tight the nut now and then with the engine running until the leak stops.

Regards

Ricardo

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi just my 2 cents worth.If you go to a marine supply store and pick up 3/16 packing used in the packing of the propeller shaft this also works very well and will not cause any damage to the shaft or bushing.I have used it in my Durant.P.S. very inexpensive.[THE WOLFMAN].

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes a 1928 Rugby Truck model X , 1928 Durant 2 dr coupe, 1923 Star 2dr runabout [roadster].

The Durant Motors Automobile Club