Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear fender 1932

Well here we go again with another quirk on the 32 ? Talking to Gord Curl his Fronty rear fenders have a different moulding that doesn't sweep around the bottom of the fender like the Durant's do.
When we picked up the car I noted this slot on the bottom of the fender that looked like a drain hole. Its prefectly rectangular and not hand made after issue. I just assumed it was something else that had to be fixed later. However, the right rear fender has the same slot in the same location as the left. Its almost like any water still caught on the fender came down the moulding and out the hole. You can see the opening above the corner of the tool box. Its definately not rust out. Anyone else run into the same thing ? It wasn't on my old 30 nor any other D I have seen.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

Re: Rear fender 1932

Norm.--I have Durant "J 5090" a 614. The rear fenders do not have the slot that your's do but each fender has a metal clip on the bottom that may have held a reflector. I wonder???

never noticed a hole in the rear fenders of my 33 sedan, as my car is all pulled apart I had to dig them out to see. Sorry no holes!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 33 Durant sedan

Thanks Tim and Jack. Must be another quirk of the 32 614's or at least this one. I could see it if the slots were in different places as being done after factory, perhaps, but left matches right in the location. At that Jack's has metal clips on his coup fenders. Wonder if Jacks clips have the hole under them and the purpose. Can't ask Billy D since these are Canadian Dominion Motors cars. Oh the fun of Canadian D's / Fronty's and no two the same, with Dominion Motors slapping anything on the D's or Fronty's as well as putting D parts on Frontys and vice versa.

Norm

No holes under the clips on my fenders Norm. They are loose enough to move side to side: and I did.

Hi Jack ..you get my email to you, yesterday ? Was hoping to compare parts on our 32's. Norm

I got out my 1935 owners parts listing hoping there might have made reference to fenders with / without holes and the clips Jack has. Nothing. It does say 614's to B4269 and after B4270 serial numbers have different front fenders and hoods. Two different lengths of mufflers, exhaust / tail pipes only for the 614. Unfortunately it doesn't mention drive shafts other than to contact the Co for prices. I was thinking about how my hood was longer than the 619 Lance restored but 619 is 3 inches shorter in the wheel base to 614's and to top it off the 619 isn't mentioned at all in the parts listing.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club